Hi guys! I have a 2007 Mustang GT/CS and recently I've noticed that when the engine is cold like overnight or sitting in the parking lot all day while at work and I start it and drive off, at around 3,000 rpm range theres this metalic like ringing/rattling Im not sure what it could be. It happens regardless if it's in gear or neutral it almost seems like a resonance because it's not after or before this rpm range. When the engine starts warming up it goes away within like 5 min or so of driving. It seems very dependant on temperature I live in southern California so it's not really extremes but on cooler mornings it's a little more louder. I have gone under the car and banged around to check for loose heat shields but I couldn't feel any that were loose maybe it's just a resonance of the overhang material? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I should add that it seems to come from under the car towards the back of the engine making be believe it's not a pulley or something.
2007 Mustang GT/CS
5-speed manual transmission
Believe you have the same I have with my 06 GT. There's a TSB for the separator plate buzz. Have to drop tranny to fix AFAIK. Note that it does not adversely affect or hurt anything left unresolved, apparently. I'm a-ok at 200k mi, been doing it a while...annoying and a bit embarrassing though.
This one here, you can Google for more specifics:
08-02-10 4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION—SEPARATOR PLATE BUZZ—BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2007
Yeah, it's the separator plate between the transmission and bellhousing.
Easy fix though. If you get under the car, on the bottom of the bellhousing there are two unused threaded bosses in the bellhousing, and two corresponding holes in the separator plate. Can't remember exactly what thread the holes are- I think they're M10 but you'll have to check. I had some 1/4" thick x 1 1/2" wide rubber strips left over from something I did on my old truck- I ordered it from McMaster-Carr, it's basically weatherproof rubber and not expensive.
I cut two small pieces of that (maybe 2" long), cut holes in the middle, and wedged them between the separator plate and bellhousing, then inserted the bolts through the separator plate and rubber and into the bellhousing and tightened them until they were snug. Did that 7 years ago and never had a problem with it since.