2008 Shelby GT pics and specs released today

Mar 6, 2007
here

I like this paragraph the best:

<i>A coupe will also be available, and total Shelby GT production for 2008 will be capped at 2,300 cars (over 6,000 '07s were produced).</i>

6000 Shelbys were made in 07!! That's nuts. If you own a Shelby, I highly suggest you sell it before this market goes down the dumps.

• Sponsors (?)

No more than 10,000 Shelby GT's for the two model years is what they said in the beginning. Relatively small number in comparison to how many regular GT's are built each year.

here

I like this paragraph the best:

<i>A coupe will also be available, and total Shelby GT production for 2008 will be capped at 2,300 cars (over 6,000 '07s were produced).</i>

6000 Shelbys were made in 07!! That's nuts. If you own a Shelby, I highly suggest you sell it before this market goes down the dumps.

This might be the craziest thing i have heard you say V. Just listen to logic for one brief moment in your life. You are afraid that the market for the Shelby GT500 is going to head south, here is the proof YOU ARE THE NUT!!!!
Shelby produces a limited product with a higher value of vehicle. You say 6000 cars = very soon to lose tons of value. I say when i bought my 05 GT just two months used in November of 2004 with 2880 miles on it, i paid 24,500. I would say with a great deal of certainty that there have been at least 10 times more GT's produced than GT500's. Now just wait, because a new member posted here yesterday that he was going to buy a used 05 GT with 40k miles on it and the selling price was 22,500 for the stang. That looks a lot like a regular every day stang is keeping its value pretty well with some incredible production numbers behind it. If you think that the GT500 will lose its value as one, a Shelby vehicle, two, a limited production, and three, a recreation of history for all the middle age crisis yielding baby boomers attacking our market place then V. you need to change who you are buying your wacky weed from because it is some bad stuff.
But then again, this is just my opinion and you are allowed yours however WRONGor right they may be.

You are comparing two different cars. The Shelby has produced too many cars already for that market to hold up especially when the Camaro and Challenger are coming out. The GT holds it's value because IT IS a good value. The Shelby won't hold it's value because it's NOT a good value when compared to the purchase price.

You can't compare the 2, it's no different than C6 prices and Z06 prices. Will a Shelby be worth more than a GT at resale? Yes. Will the Shelby loose more value from it's purchase price than the GT? Yes. Toss in markups and Shelby owners are driving around in a car with 15 more hp and an extra 15k worth of debt they owe or will have to roll into their next car.

ps. Barrett Jackson basically rigged the auction of the 1st convert, no one wanted it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you two talking about two different cars? The production numbers referenced are for the Shelby GT, not the GT500, right? And for reference, the GT500 is a car produced in a Ford factory (ala the old SVT cars), but the Shelby GT is actually finished (completed Mustang GT's shipped there) at Shelby's Las Vegas factory.

Either way, any car with the Shelby name will hold it's value better than a regular GT, but only based on MSRP, not the marked up price. Same thing happened to the 03-04 Cobras. The buyers paid a premium mark-up for the priveledge of owning one first, or for being the first owner, but the used market would not support the marked up price for the cars. So, in that respect, V.B. is right. The first time an owner of a GT500 or a Shelby GT trades in that car or sells it in the used market, that "mark-up" money the original buyer paid is lost.

The only cars that MIGHT be the exception to this rule could be very specialized Mustangs like the PJ Saleen or the Chip Foose Mustang... very limited production runs might support a more inflated price, even over time.... but only if the cars are kept like museum pieces and not driven..... and what's the point of that?

I just wish all the gouging would stop. THe local dealer by me has a Regular Shelby with 20k in "market adjustment" taking it over the price of a GT500. And the GT500 is 20k additional as well, making it a 60k car.

Obviously, if they sold them at sticker, they would have sold out in the first 1-2 months and shelby would have either upped production or came out with other models. It would not make any sense not to. But instead they priced them high enough to make the number made sell much slower to the point where no more needed to be made.

I don't like how ford makes maybe a couple thousand off the car, then the dealer makes 20k. I don't like car salesmen, or their managers. This is a good reason why.

If they sold 12,000 at sticker, they'd still hold their value well. Look at a decent 1993 through 2003 Cobra. They still hold their values very well, except for the unloved hp mistake 99's. The Cobra was intended to replace the cobra. Instead it became an overpriced vehicle on a different level. I think original Shelby (60's) production was much higher than 6000 a year, anyone able to confirm?

Those ebay sales are from dealers using the same tactics they would to sell them new off the show room floor, but the used market will take care of this pricing problem.

There's NO WAY a dealer will take one of these cars in trade in a year or two from a private owner and give them more than the new car MSRP as a trade value on that car... NO WAY (unless they're buying another car that's got a $15-$20K mark up on it). That's when the price of these cars will be closer to their actual value.....

Back the the question at hand. Are we talking about 2 different cars, the Shelby GT vs. the Shelby GT500? I thought the GT500 was going to be seen in roughly the same number of units for 3 years so roughly 6000+ per year 2006-2009?