2011 Mustang: Where does it fall?

Now that the 5.0 is back I can't help but remember when the original 5.0 Mustangs were in production almost all of us said at some point: I wish they would put the 351 in a Mustang. Now the tables have turned and everyone is so happy the good ol' 5.0 is back... the 412hp part may have something to do with it. As I have been reading the press releases, forum posts, etc. I can help but wonder where the 2011 GT will fall in the great choices Ford has given us in just the last 8 years or so. Starting with the 03/04 Cobra and then the GT500's Ford has more than made up for the early 4.6 cars of the 90's. So what's everyone else's thoughts on how the 2011 will go down in history against the Terminators, Shelby's and of course the original 5.0? And how about the V6 having more power than all but a hand full of Mustangs ever?

• Sponsors (?)

I still think they will offer a larger version of the motor in a truck somewhere and people will modify that and toss it in the car. like the 4.6 vs. 5.4 and 5.0 vs. 5.8.....But im sure ford will give you the bigger engine in some mustang for a bunch more money as they always seem to do.

I see it differently. I think the age of motor swaps is winding down. Back in the day it was pretty easy to swap out the 302 for a 351 in a Fox body or even in the 94/95s. You really didn't have to do much besides buy some swap headers. Didn't even need to swap out the wiring or computer. You could even get away with the stock tune. Things are a little different now. Increasing displacement is just not something the kids are into. You can add a blower and far exceed your horsepower expectations without having to swap an engine harness or computer. Plus, have you priced modular short blocks? They're at least a couple of grand more than the old pushrod engines.

In the long run, there will be some of us that remember the Fox 5.0s with fond memories, but most will think of it as an underpowered, unsophisticated, sardine can. I hate to say that because I love the cars. But, go back and drive one and you'll see how far the newer cars have come. For the new generation of mainstream Mustang lovers, the 5.0 will overshadow anything built thus far. Just my humble opinion.

I see it differently. I think the age of motor swaps is winding down. Back in the day it was pretty easy to swap out the 302 for a 351 in a Fox body or even in the 94/95s. You really didn't have to do much besides buy some swap headers. Didn't even need to swap out the wiring or computer. You could even get away with the stock tune. Things are a little different now. Increasing displacement is just not something the kids are into. You can add a blower and far exceed your horsepower expectations without having to swap an engine harness or computer. Plus, have you priced modular short blocks? They're at least a couple of grand more than the old pushrod engines.

In the long run, there will be some of us that remember the Fox 5.0s with fond memories, but most will think of it as an underpowered, unsophisticated, sardine can. I hate to say that because I love the cars. But, go back and drive one and you'll see how far the newer cars have come. For the new generation of mainstream Mustang lovers, the 5.0 will overshadow anything built thus far. Just my humble opinion.

i still have a 92 LX 5.0 and its great. it sounds good, its clean, and its pretty fast. it feels faster than a stock s197. i guess stock the old 5.0's are unsophisticated, but with light bolt ons, it can be pretty quick especially from a dig with the instant throttle response. at just a few hairs above 3000 lbs, it doesn't take much for the fox body to be fast. i bought my fox for about half the price of many s197 SC'ers. and with some easy bolt ons it is pretty quick. sure as technology improves so does the mustang, but you look at mustang race cars and there are still many many fox bodies out there kickin ass on the 1/4 mile. that's my rant about the old 5.0's.

the new ones, only time will tell, but it is a step up from previous years that's for sure.

5.0 is to small I want bigger

I want the new 6.2l standard in the GT!!!!....... j/k

I remember when Ford started putting EFI on the 302, it was a big deal at the time. To many people it was the latest and greatest technology the mustang didn't have before. You no longer had to tune your carburetor all the time and when you modded the engine, the computer would calibrate it for you. Now we have a new 302 that is more high tech the the 281 it replaces. So again standardizing new and better technology.

As for where the new 2011 Mustang GT falls between the 03/04 cobra's and GT-500's, only time will tell. In my opinion I don't see it being nearly as mod friendly as either one of those two. However considering it will be far more mass produced and making a 12 second ( hopefully stock) Mustang more common place. I see less people bothering to hunt down those older Mustangs, other than to be a collectible. :flag:

I think the 5.0 will be a great engine. Lots of potential for tweaking and boosting and a wide open aftermarket. Personally I like well established formulas for engine sizes. These sizes are the ones that usually are adpoted for motorsports applications as they make sense and allow you the power levels that fall within regulations. Without being too technical the 5.0L or 302 has always been the engine size for V8 motorsports and I like that, add to that the fact that the car has about 400HP which is the power level I wanted to work with and I see how this is just perfect for me.

Sadly as was mentioned the age of engine swaps is coming to an end. I'm not too big of a fan of the way the new S197s look, however, because my car is starting to show its age and because of the advances in chassis and drivetrain refinements I will probably trade it in for a new 5.0 as soon as I get a chance. The idea was to swap a new 5.0 crate engine should they come out (especially if they build a Hot rod package like the 4.6L) but seeing how all the sensors, wiring, ecu and fuel system and possibly exhaust would have to be replaced for the swap to work I see how trading up would be a better choice.

As said, the days of engine swaps are ending for the common man. I love that Ford brought back the 5.0 diplacement, it REALLY makes me want one. I would also have to agree, that I'd probably never up the power above the 412hp. Besides, I have an old fastback I can do that to one day.

The 5.0 is dead, long live the 5.0!

I'm very excited about the new 5.0. Not only that but you get a 6-speed...how about that?! 400+ horsepower is a lot and being that the new motor is only 10 lbs. heavier than the current 4.6 3-valve what's not to be excited about. I think the 6 speed could add a little more weight as well but the best news is that we're getting almost 100+ more hp. and the Mustang GT's weight is still staying pretty much as lean as the current GTs. With it being the lightest pony car out I think it's gonna be an absolute weapon on the street. I'm waiting to see performance test results out of 2011 GT with the track pack. I'll throw down my chips and bet that the new Mustang GT with the track pack or a decent gear will produce a 12 second timeslip. If it does the 5.0 nameplate will once again make history. If I bought a new 5.0 I'd just do the headers, catback, CAI, and tune before I even thought about any boosted performance. I'm sure with some bolt-ons you'd get the GT right on top of the 450 hp. mark. I'd be more than fine with that.

It's not really "the good ole 5.0" The only common link is that it's called a 302 and 5.0L that's it, it's not even really the same exact cc's. Anyway I'm just glad to see Ford answer the call of 400+HP. It always seemed that Ford would never bother with the HP war but with the GT-500 in 07 and now kicking back into GM's face with 412HP it seems their persona has changed. Kudos Mr. Mullaly!! I can't wait to see how much power 8psi will create with DOHC & VCT.

Opinions are . . well . . you know . . . either way, I am really looking forward to the new 5.0, 32 valve 4 cam engine. I am sure, like when the S197 came out in '05 so many new aftermarket companies came out of the woodwork providing goodies for that generation Mustang, that will happen with the newer 5.0.

Most of the manfacturer's of the S197 parts that survived until today will surly see that many, many of these engines will be out on the streets and I doubt if the newer generation Mustang owners will differ much from the 'ol timers in modding their Mustangs.

One of the biggest reasons I am into Mustangs is the availability of all the things I am able to do, the market is almost endless of mods for them.

The new 5.0 is all Mustang for now and the market will be there for whatever performance parts are brought to us from the aftermarket companies.:nice: