2012 5.0 AirRaid CAI/Tuner Lesson Learned

ribmaster05

Apr 19, 2011
Katy, TX
I installed the AirRaid CAI and Bama Tune this weekend and want to share my experience to help out anyone else contemplating the same task. I ordered the parts as a kit from American Muscle (AM) so the tunes were developed for the CAI. AirRaid makes these intakes to be used WITH or WITHOUT a tune. They are shipped with a zip tie holding a vortex tube insert in place where the MAF sensor is installed in the intake tube.A paper note is attached to the zip tie stating that this insert must be installed. This is only true if you are using your stock tune. If you are installing a tune that incorporates the new CAI, DO NOT install the vortex insert. By installing the insert, the air flow will be restricted and the car will surge erratically between 1000-2000 rpms under a moderate load. I finally figured out my mistake, removed the insert and shazaam! I definitely feel the difference in throttle response and mid to high rpm torque with the 93 performance tune. I also had a problem with the tuner that I have seen reported at this forum that I think needs to be repeated. When I was trouble shooting the CAI problem I was going back and forth between tunes when I got the "High Voltage" message in the middle of a tune and then the "error 1016". This killed the tune and the car was dead as well. I followed the same advice found on several message boards and disconnected the negative battery terminal and let the car cool down for about 30 minutes. Replaced the battery terminal and the tune went without a problem. I was told by AM that this is a problem with the SCT tuner and will probably continue to happen during future tunes. I also learned from AM that after tuning any 2011-2012 5.0 that the PCM (computer) for these models requires idle retraining and gave me this procedure;
1) After installing a new tune and starting for the first time make sure a/c is off and let idle for 2 minutes without touching the throttle.
2) Turn a/c to high and idle for 2 more minutes
3) Turn a/c off and idle for another 2 minutes.
The idle should now be retrained and ready to drive.

I love the AirRaid CAI and Bama tune and would recommend either to anyone.

• Sponsors (?)

thats the cai I have and I also have Bama tunes, they are great to deal with. I verified with Bama before I even installed the Airaid that they tuned without the insert. Ive switched tunes several times and Ive yet to have to do the relearning process and my car is always smooth at idle and drivability

I was told it only applies to 2011 and 2012 mustangs. It has to do with allowing the computer to relearn the idle settings with and without a/c. I am not convinced that it is a necessary step but was recommended when I called American Muscle for support.