Engine 2013 Mustang GT (Track Pack) - Coyote Tick / BBQ Tick Thread (Official)

• Sponsors (?)

Little update: After receiving a phone call from State College Ford stating they could not replicate the noise, I went down to the dealership to try to replicate the noise in front of the service tech. For whatever reason, the ticking noise had vanished or had gotten stage fright. I managed to get the motor to do the bbq tick once or twice in about 5 minutes. The service tech then went inside to grab the service manager. He came out and took a listen to the motor. He then told me to cut the motor, and proceeded to start angrily talking to me saying the noise was too "inconsistent," that i shouldn't believe everything i read on the internet and that he didn't care that my car was having a motor problem. What a great day that was...Anyhow, i am now going to just drive the car as it is and wait until the noise gets worse, forcing Ford to recognize the issue and hopefully lead to a solution. I appreciate the help of all those that commented on this thread! It will most likely be some time before I re-post.

Been a minute but here's a quick update on the ticking noise in my '13 GT.

Last week I decided to do another oil change and went with Royal Purple 5W-30 and added an entire bottle of Liqui-Moly Ceratec to the oil.
Previously I had been using Rotella T6 5W-40 which had quieted the ticking noise down compared to the Motorcraft 5W-50 I had been using before the Rotella.

Well, after I wrapped up changing the oil and added in the ceratec mystery fluid (the stuff is this odd orange sherbet color) I started the car up and let it run for a little bit at idle just to get the oil circulated. I shut the car off and let it cool down to check the oil level and then went off for a 30ish minute drive around town and guess what??? THE TICKING NOISE WAS COMPLETELY GONE!

I let the motor warm up all the way and then did 3 hard pulls from 2nd gear up through 4th gear just to really heat the motor up. I also cranked the A/C up all the way just to be a jerk to the motor and really see if that ticking noise was gone; indeed the ticking noise was gone!

Usually the ticking noise would occur between 1.5k and 2k rpm when I was very light on the throttle. Well I tried to make the ticking noise come back by keeping light on the throttle in that RPM range and STILL NO TICKING!

Seems for now the ticking noise in my 5.0 has been "solved" with an oil change and oil additive.

I do realize that the source of the ticking noise may be rod bearing or mechanical related and that an oil additive will not fix the root issue but I sure to do enjoy not hearing that god awful and embarrassing noise!

Been a minute but here's a quick update on the ticking noise in my '13 GT.

Last week I decided to do another oil change and went with Royal Purple 5W-30 and added an entire bottle of Liqui-Moly Ceratec to the oil.
Previously I had been using Rotella T6 5W-40 which had quieted the ticking noise down compared to the Motorcraft 5W-50 I had been using before the Rotella.

Well, after I wrapped up changing the oil and added in the ceratec mystery fluid (the stuff is this odd orange sherbet color) I started the car up and let it run for a little bit at idle just to get the oil circulated. I shut the car off and let it cool down to check the oil level and then went off for a 30ish minute drive around town and guess what??? THE TICKING NOISE WAS COMPLETELY GONE!

I let the motor warm up all the way and then did 3 hard pulls from 2nd gear up through 4th gear just to really heat the motor up. I also cranked the A/C up all the way just to be a jerk to the motor and really see if that ticking noise was gone; indeed the ticking noise was gone!

Usually the ticking noise would occur between 1.5k and 2k rpm when I was very light on the throttle. Well I tried to make the ticking noise come back by keeping light on the throttle in that RPM range and STILL NO TICKING!

Seems for now the ticking noise in my 5.0 has been "solved" with an oil change and oil additive.

I do realize that the source of the ticking noise may be rod bearing or mechanical related and that an oil additive will not fix the root issue but I sure to do enjoy not hearing that god awful and embarrassing noise!
Hey thanks for letting us know what you did to fix the issue I will be following suit jic mine does the same. Cheers