2018 mustang 10 speed failure

I’ve had my ‘18 GT Premium since April and no noticeable issues with the 10 speed , shifts fine with a little burp between low gears , but that’s normal , test drove a 2SS awhile back , shifted same . So far I like it ...

• Sponsors (?)

Yep same here. 2018 ecoboost automatic. Had to have it towed back to dealership last night. 7000 miles and experiencing same jerking forward motion and car complete locked up. Will not move forward more then a couple hundred yards without stopping on its on. Dealership called today saying they had to order parts for transmission. I’m still unsure of exact issue. Haven’t even paid first payment of the car and it’s in the shop. Not felling good about what’s left to come with this car.

Anyone experiencing strange behavior from their 10-speed? I've got an EB convertible, and an EB coupe, both 2018, and they display the same behaviors in some instances, while the coupe does strange things that the convertible doesn't. The most alarming behavior from the coupe is a pronounced 'lunge' when moving from Park to Drive, (occasionally) after the car has been sitting for about an hour. The microsecond the shifter hits "D", the car lunges forward without the typical engagement delay. Engine at normal, hot idle speed. It's done it a few times going into Reverse from Park, as well. I don't know if this is a programming glitch, or a mechanical issue. The convertible has never done it. Anybody else seeing this?
I’m seeing that my 2019 gt is doing the same thing has the dealer said what it may be

I got a 2018 ecoboost automatic with 4300 miles and lately its been really annoying driving it because when you put in drive and it will "lunge' hard so you have to press the brake hard also so to stop it from "jerking" back forward. Put in reverse and it will do the same "jerking" and you could hear the transmission engaging hard. What if somebody was walking in front of your car and you did not press the brake hard. For sure they will think that you are trying to run them over.
When driving and you need to slow down, the car will downshift maybe 2-3 gears down and you could feel that it's doing like an "engine brake".
I went to the dealer yesterday where I got it and they have me scheduled on Nov. 5 for their tranny mechanic because they have a lot of workload. This is happening more often now being the reason I went to the dealer.
I hope they can fix by software and without taking the transmission down, still being a brand new car. I have not tried the sport mode yet or any rough driving/starting cause I still "babied" this car and this happens. I need to borrow the "lunge" word from cbdallas because this is the exact word that characterize the annoying problem.
I just bought a new 2018 mustang GT with 10 speed automatic, and I’m experiencing the same issues! In the mornings , going from park to drive or from reverse to drive , the car wants to jump forward like crazy. And when I’m coming to a red light or stop sign, the last few gears seem to down shift roughly , and I do feel inconsistency in the brake pedal , like the car has a motor brake or something. When it downshifts into first gear while slowly rolling , it still has that jumpy effect wanting to jump forward. Was your dealership able to fix problem? Thanks

FWIW I have a 2018 10 speed auto and it shifts fine. Bought it in July, 2018 and this is a really fun car; I highly recommend it. The 10 speed shifts a little differently than a regular automatic transmission as there is a little delay when shifting from reverse or park into drive. Total mileage so far is just under 4,000 and it doesn't get driven at the track, but I do some "spirited driving" lol. Normal driving during the break-in and the oil got changed at 1,300 miles.

ok an update since my last post. I got my car back and all seemed fine, a few days later I started noticing different issues. I could now feel the transmission downshifting as well as upshifting...really hard to describe....took it back in. Dealer has had it for a week and a half now. I was told yesterday they need it until at least next week to completely remove and overhaul the transmission, and that they are working with Ford engineers to make sure they are on the right path....
I have attached my first work order...I cant make sense of it!!

Attachments

• IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 1,556
Update on my 2018 ecoboost "lunge" and "jerking" problem. The service department of the dealer took my car and keep it for 2 days (just to be sure) and called me that they reprogrammed it. It drives much better but there is still a little bit of downshifting you could feel when slowing down and the idle speed is a little bit faster compared previously maybe around 650-700.
I had it for a few days now hoping its going to get away after the technician said it is going to "relearn". Still hoping its going to get away. Here is the printout of the service done.
IMG_5368.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a new 2018 mustang GT with 10 speed automatic, and I’m experiencing the same issues! In the mornings , going from park to drive or from reverse to drive , the car wants to jump forward like crazy. And when I’m coming to a red light or stop sign, the last few gears seem to down shift roughly , and I do feel inconsistency in the brake pedal , like the car has a motor brake or something. When it downshifts into first gear while slowly rolling , it still has that jumpy effect wanting to jump forward. Was your dealership able to fix problem? Thanks
IMG_5368.jpg Update on my 2018 ecoboost "lunge" and "jerking" problem. The service department of the dealer took my car and kept it for 2 days (just to be sure) and called me that they reprogrammed it. It drives much better but there is still a little bit of downshifting you could feel when slowing down and the idle speed is a little bit faster compared previously maybe around 650-700.
I had it for a few days now hoping its going to get away after the technician said it is going to "relearn". Still hoping its going to get away. Here is the printout of the service done.

Last edited:
Anyone experiencing strange behavior from their 10-speed? I've got an EB convertible, and an EB coupe, both 2018, and they display the same behaviors in some instances, while the coupe does strange things that the convertible doesn't. The most alarming behavior from the coupe is a pronounced 'lunge' when moving from Park to Drive, (occasionally) after the car has been sitting for about an hour. The microsecond the shifter hits "D", the car lunges forward without the typical engagement delay. Engine at normal, hot idle speed. It's done it a few times going into Reverse from Park, as well. I don't know if this is a programming glitch, or a mechanical issue. The convertible has never done it. Anybody else seeing this?

Did you ever get your issue's resolved? I leased a 2018 10 Speed Ecoboost for my wife, and hers does the same exact thing. The tranmission is also really jerky. The dealership keeps telling us that it runs within spec, so we're at a loss.

Reactions: 1 user
So another update on my car. I finally got mine back last night after the dealer having it for 28 days. They completely removed and rebuilt the transmission. There was no catastrophic failure but a few different areas that showed abnormal wear. So far after only driving it a little it seems better. Going to give it a few weeks to see if it stays that way!!

Why don’t you print out some of the service write up we got from ford service shop and show it to them so that they have ideas what to look for. I think your problem is pretty much the same as ours. Let us know on the update.

I've got 6500 miles on my 19 ecoboost. My transmission does not jerk coming to a stop or going from park to reverse or drive. The first week I owned the car you could feel the transmission doing weird stuff. Now it shifts and drives great. Took it easy on the car for the first 2000 miles. Most of my driving is highway between a crawl and 80mph. I switch between sport and normal often. My transmission is holding up ( fingers crossed ).

I've got 6500 miles on my 19 ecoboost. My transmission does not jerk coming to a stop or going from park to reverse or drive. The first week I owned the car you could feel the transmission doing weird stuff. Now it shifts and drives great. Took it easy on the car for the first 2000 miles. Most of my driving is highway between a crawl and 80mph. I switch between sport and normal often. My transmission is holding up ( fingers crossed ).
I own a 2018 GT Premium and I noticed a slight jerk from P to D , it’s really nothing to be concerned about ( for now ) and usually when it’s warmed up , it doesn’t do it , shifts thru the all the gears fine .

It's good to hear from you guys, we always hear about the problems and never from the thousands of people that are not having them. I'm not saying the problems aren't real, they are, but I believe they get a little over exposed if you will. My new wheels will be here soon, hopefully I'll be on your side of the issue.

It's good to hear from you guys, we always hear about the problems and never from the thousands of people that are not having them. I'm not saying the problems aren't real, they are, but I believe they get a little over exposed if you will. My new wheels will be here soon, hopefully I'll be on your side of the issue.

What wheels did you go with ? I'm upgrading my wheels real soon.

What wheels did you go with ? I'm upgrading my wheels real soon.
Ordered a '19 GT Premium PP 401A 10R80 race red Mustang. It was built during the first week of February and was supposed to be delivered by the 15th, but it's setting in Flat Rock because of "weather". It's Michigan for goodness’ sake, aren't they used to snow? Go Figure! I put my Black '16 GT Premium PP 401A MT-82 full bolt on car up for sale and it sold right away, now I'm without my Mustang and don't really know when I'll get it. Oh well, it will all work out. Its just tough having to wait for it.

Ordered a '19 GT Premium PP 401A 10R80 race red Mustang. It was built during the first week of February and was supposed to be delivered by the 15th, but it's setting in Flat Rock because of "weather". It's Michigan for goodness’ sake, aren't they used to snow? Go Figure! I put my Black '16 GT Premium PP 401A MT-82 full bolt on car up for sale and it sold right away, now I'm without my Mustang and don't really know when I'll get it. Oh well, it will all work out. Its just tough having to wait for it.

That's gonna be a sweet car man !