22 degrees ignition timing

roc-e

Jun 23, 2008
In advancing my timing, I went all the way to an idicated 22 degrees with no pinging under any load or under any amount of throttle. I run 91 octane gas.

Even though I drove it like that for a day, the thought of 22 degrees freaked me out, and I brought it down to about 18. I'm reading the timing using my timing light, spout connector out, and I'm taking the reading at the pointer. In other words, I'm pretty confident I'm reading the timing correctly.

My questions is: Since I haven't gotten the engine to ping at all, am I sacrificing power by not advancing the timing further because I'm afraid out of having it set at 22 degrees +?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your balancer has maybe slipped....or your car just don't mind the timing. Best way to diagnos it is put it on a dyno and start from 12degrees and see if your power goes up

Yea, I'm thinking spun balancer as well....I had it happen myself.

But don't rule out the easiest possibility...try checking it with a different light.

Thanks

Thanks for the input, guys.

I've never corrected a spun balancer, or installed one. Would you mind a little 'how to' on checking it? (I assume it involves pulling it off and checking some marking on it and the timing chain assembly?)

Thanks.

Mine was pretty obvious when I looked at it...the rubber was squeezing out of some areas, and sunk in others. So I just went ahead and replaced it.