289 over heating

• Sponsors (?)

Happy Labor Day
Been working on the 65 289 that overheated. This is where i'm at the 3000cfm fan and shroud are in
and now it's the wiring. Now I'm not a dumb ass but I can't figure it out to come on with the thermostat switch.
Fan gets the blue, black goes to switch, red thru fuse to solenoid, and the white to ?????
I can wire it to run with key on but not if needed. I tried the white off alt but light flickered and speed was low.
Any players this morning?
M

The fan is a Maxon performance 3000 cfm box says nothing else. the "controller" is a simple 4 wire relay no special markings.
I did wire it to the key on fuse box under the dash. Before all that, I took out the radiator and flex fan and all the nice shroud work
that had just been done and taking info from a lot oh you folks I did a radiator back in super over night a a half day of driving around block cleaning.
I was surprised that it didn't overheat with just water and this rust remover. When I drained it out it was all the wrong color with other junk and floaties.
I filtered it in to a 5 gal recyclable waste can and what a surprise small black chunks even aluminum bits came out. Flusher 3 times added coolant and wetter water, parked with AC on max great coolant flow and held at 190.
Now to do the same on my 67.
Again I can not say it enough but Thank You all
M

Well I took each car out for a drive 65, 67
65 got a 3/4" deep aluminum fan shroud with the 3000 cfm electric fan set up.
System was cleaned rinsed refilled with 50/50 coolant and 1 btl wetter water fan comes
on/off with ignition switch. The temp was doing OK then the same problem of over heating started up again.
I do run 87 octane, the 65 is a 4 spd no trans cooler in the way but I do have AC
So I am lost again.

Now the 67 got a complete radiator flush and rinse same as my 65 but this time
I put the original 5 bladed stock fan in (no fan clutch) my fan does not have the large center cut
out for the fan to go thru. it as a factory style 3 1/2" shroud. This one runs 87 octane, auto trans and AC
It's very odd that the both the cars are doing the same things. Explain purge/burp and best way to power the
electric electric fan I went to the top fuse box.
As with every one else it's air flow but there's only so much in front of the radiator
I have seen many mustangs that run the steel fan and tiny shroud makes me wonder how.

Is this where to start question about a 67 dash gauges.
There is power to all the gauges but do not work
When the lead out to the gauge has current and the lead out of the gauge
have power. But all read 0 now connecting the lead out of the instrument
and ground it to the dash casing the work just fine, any ideas?