289 Rebuild with 2bl to 4bl

I just dropped off my 289 to the rebuild shop yesterday. It's a 1965 with a 2bl carb/intake and stock exh manifolds. Ran fine with good compression but had a deep knock that was driving me crazy. Needed to yank it anyway. So my plan is to convert to a 4bl card and manifold, and the hi-po exh manifolds to dual exhaust. Thinking about Weiand Stealth intake with a holly or eldebrock 500 cfm. It's a convertible I drive around Newport Beach on sunny days. I'm not going to go crazy, just want a little better performance. Anything I need to be concerned about? Btw, I also ordered up a front disc conversion boosted kit, bilstien front and back socks and new 4 leaf springs. The old girl sags and I want a better ride. Figured I go at it while I'm waiting 4 to 6 weeks for the rebuild. How's that sound? Any other tips or cautions?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It's an automatic. Deep knock in park and progressed with rpms. I put it on a lift and listened underneath with a scope. Really loud. Has been getting worse. Probably a cam issue. The engine was getting tired. It's off to the rebuild already so I'm just making sure my plans with the 4 barrel intake and carb are sound, and stock hi-po manifolds. I don't want a hot rod, but I drove my buddies 4bl a couple weeks ago and it got up and went.....

Ran good but had a knock? Did it knock in park? Auto or manual? That intake will have a carb pad thats good for a Holley only I think (or an Autolite).
A square-bore manifold will accept any square-bore carburetor. Edelbrock, Holley, Demon, Autolite/Motorcraft, Carter, and many more make or have made carburetors that fit.

500cfm is right on the money if OP is keeping the engine stock other than the carb, intake, and exhaust manifolds. I'd suggest an Edelbrock Performer 289 or Weiand Action Plus over the Stealth unless further upgrades are planned. Those two manifolds will help with low end torque, keeping things more enjoyable for the street.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Great advice on the Weiand Action Plus. And the advice from 1320stang about the Autolite 4100. I understand those were original on the 1965 Hi-Po's and that's what I'm kinda going for with the original hi-po exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. I'm not going to cut GT exhaust tip holes or make it look anything more than it is...a fun weekend in the sun on PCH....with a little get up and go.

Picked up an Autolite 4100 C5Z I'm great shape. It came with the plate with the vacuum port. Now I need to a decision on an intake manifold to match it. This one says Edelbrock 2121 "match" but are these cheapo's? Anyone have any insight on these?
IMG_0045.PNG

Picked up an Autolite 4100 C5Z I'm great shape. It came with the plate with the vacuum port. Now I need to a decision on an intake manifold to match it. This one says Edelbrock 2121 "match" but are these cheapo's? Anyone have any insight on these?
IMG_0045.PNG
That's a Chinese knock-off that looks like a cross between an Edelbrock 2121 and a 7121.

For the whopping $25 more, I'd rather buy the used genuine Edelbrock manifold listed on Ebay and know what I'm getting.

That Chinese manifold could work just fine, but if its flow characteristics are more like the 7121 (which is the Performer RPM) than the 2121 (which is the Performer 289), you're probably going to kill your low end torque and driveability on a stock 289.

That's a Chinese knock-off that looks like a cross between an Edelbrock 2121 and a 7121.

For the whopping $25 more, I'd rather buy the used genuine Edelbrock manifold listed on Ebay and know what I'm getting.

That Chinese manifold could work just fine, but if its flow characteristics are more like the 7121 (which is the Performer RPM) than the 2121 (which is the Performer 289), you're probably going to kill your low end torque and driveability on a stock 289.
I'm still a little confused. Which one would be best for low end torque and drive Ability?

Edelbrock Performer 289
Great! Done. Just purchased one new. Don't want to risk a warped used one. Now I've got front discs on, Bilstein shocks all the way around. New four leafs on order, Autolite 4100 in a box, and engine being rebuilt. Now I need to make a decision on exhaust manifolds. Stock Hi-Pos or something else? I had a choke pipe coming out of my stock regular headers into my Autolite 2100. They are not on the HiPo headers. The HiPo Autolite 4100 didn't use a choke like my new 4100 does. I'm a little confused on how I set that up, or if I need the choke pipe on my new set up?

Yes, that’s a good one, so with my new 4100 it is an auto choke, and my standard exhaust manifolds have the integrated choke pipe in the right side mani to feed the Autolite (had this set up on my 2100). The HiPo 4100 was a manual choke with no choke pipe on the HiPo exhaust manifold, so I guess I’m answering my own question. I need the choke pipe for the Autolite auto choke, so I can’t convert to the HiPo exhaust manifolds. Any other performance exhaust manifolds with the choke pipe that will fit that you know of?

Yes, that’s a good one, so with my new 4100 it is an auto choke, and my standard exhaust manifolds have the integrated choke pipe in the right side mani to feed the Autolite (had this set up on my 2100). The HiPo 4100 was a manual choke with no choke pipe on the HiPo exhaust manifold, so I guess I’m answering my own question. I need the choke pipe for the Autolite auto choke, so I can’t convert to the HiPo exhaust manifolds. Any other performance exhaust manifolds with the choke pipe that will fit that you know of?
Can you post a pic of your 4100?

Ok, back to it. I've got the 1.08 Autolite 4100 with the auto choke from the exhaust manifold tubes. Same as my 2100 I just took off. The tube would go into the coil at the same spot from the stock 289 exhaust manifold. If I really wanted the HiPo exh manifolds I would have two choices - actually three. 1) convert auto choke to electric. 2) strap on a dorman converter to the new manifolds (but not sure this would work on cast iron HiPo manifolds....not get hot enough quick enough like shorty' would), or 3) go old school with a manual choke. I live in Newport Beach, CA where it's always between 55 and 75 degrees. What's the best choice? I'm thing #1 cause my wife will drive it and leave the manual choke pulled out!

Ps, what's that black metal piece around the choke mechanism? Heat shield?

IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG

I've done the manual choke conversion before, it' not the best, but it works, and as mild as your climate is, it could be a good option.

Dorman's choke stove is an option as well, I haven't used it personally. Usually Dorman's products work.

I haven't converted to electric choke before, but with the similarities between the 4100 and a Holley, it shouldn't be too difficult. This would personally be my first choice because I like electric chokes on carburetors.

Reactions: 1 users