295 15 tire w/ 10' rim is it possible on a 70??

BlackGMC

Feb 6, 2007
I am thinking a little bit ahead. I am wanting to run a 295/50/15 tire on a 15X10 rim on my 70 mustang, do you think it is possible? I am planning on rolling the rear lip and widening the wheel housing a few inches. With the correct BS can it fit? OH and the wheels will be Cragar SS's. I am wondering if it will hit the leaf spring.

• Sponsors (?)

Well i have had a 295 tire with a 15x8 rim on my stang before with no mod, it rubbed ever so slightly but the tire looked like a fat chick in a mini skirt... That is why I was wondering about a 10' rim.

with all the other work you're doing on the car you might as well just go ahead and mini-tub it.

295/50-15 on a 15x10 will not fit in the stock wheelhouse, rolled lips or not. it will fit between the frame rail and the inner part of the quarter, though. so if you modify the wheelhouses enough (mini-tub) they will fit.

with all the other work you're doing on the car you might as well just go ahead and mini-tub it.

295/50-15 on a 15x10 will not fit in the stock wheelhouse, rolled lips or not. it will fit between the frame rail and the inner part of the quarter, though. so if you modify the wheelhouses enough (mini-tub) they will fit.

I had plans to mini tub (adding ~2inch inbetween the inner and outer wheel housing) the car anyways. But do you speak from experience on it fitting or have you seen it done? Do you know if it will hit the leaf spring?

BTW Thanks for the reply.

Corey

I have 275's on a 9" wheel.

Car is lowered 2.5" and it doesn't rub at all (fender lips are NOT rolled).

If you roll the fender lips and pay careful attention to backspacing, I think you could get the 295's under there without the minitub.

I have 275's on a 9" wheel.

Car is lowered 2.5" and it doesn't rub at all (fender lips are NOT rolled).

If you roll the fender lips and pay careful attention to backspacing, I think you could get the 295's under there without the minitub.

they'll fit on an 8" or maybe 9" wheel but not with a 10" wheel. i have seen 17x11's with no wheelwell work done before but the 15" wheel runs into more stuff.

I found a couple of examples of people running a 295 on 15X10 wheel.
New_tire.jpg

I believe he did minor wheel well work to get them to fit. I am still planning on adding a few inches to the inner wheel wells since I have to replace them anyways and I plann on relocating the outer bump stop to the inside of the frame rail, so those things should solve the problem. Maybe whenever i do order wheels and tire I might end up getting some 315/17 tire, but that is a long ways down the road, but at least I will be prepared.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm in the process of copying a setup a member on 69stang has on his 69:
18x10 rim with 6.375 BS and 295/35/18 tires.

My new wheels are still in shipping (I'm in Europe) so no personal experience, but it fits his very low 69 with rolled fender lips and the inner wheel housing hammered out just a bit in a couple of places. No rubbing and no tubbing. So be prepared to work on the exact backspacing and you should make it.

I had plans to mini tub (adding ~2inch inbetween the inner and outer wheel housing) the car anyways. But do you speak from experience on it fitting or have you seen it done? Do you know if it will hit the leaf spring?

BTW Thanks for the reply.

Corey

well i guess i should say it can be done with some mods but it won't a stock wheelhousing. relocating the bumpstop is required if you use a 15x10 wheel and there are some areas where the wheelhouse either needs to cut out and patched or you'll have to beat it into submission and still likely have to do some welding.

generally speaking larger diameter wheels will have less clearance problems because they have less sidewall flex and won't rub going around corners. a 295/50-15 will flex more and also the shorter wheel height has more problems with the bump stop, in general. you can make a 295/50-15 work on an 8" or 8.5" wheel and not really have to modify anything.

I found a couple of examples of people running a 295 on 15X10 wheel.
New_tire.jpg

I believe he did minor wheel well work to get them to fit. I am still planning on adding a few inches to the inner wheel wells since I have to replace them anyways and I plann on relocating the outer bump stop to the inside of the frame rail, so those things should solve the problem. Maybe whenever i do order wheels and tire I might end up getting some 315/17 tire, but that is a long ways down the road, but at least I will be prepared.

Thanks for all the input guys.

If you plan on running THOSE tires, then ok. Otherwise don't trust that. Those Futura GLS tires are not as wide as other 295's. I've sold them, and others. They're more comparable to my 275 hoosiers. In fact, I bet my Hoosiers are wider.

Manufacturers lie. Thats a Pep Boys special.

I run 295/15s on 10" rims w/ 5 bs on my '70 fastback. The wheels were on the car when I bought it so other than the fender lips being rolled, I don't know if any other mods have been done. I have stock height rear springs and the tires fill the well nicely with no rub. I believe they might rub w/ lowered springs but not possitive.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/473665

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/473643

not only are the fender lips rolled on your car but they are also flared. those are NOT stock wheelwells on your car.