3" Exhaust Cat-back, Worth it?

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
Wondering if it would be worth the money at this point to get a 3" catback fabricated for my car. Right now I'm running the stock catback with weld-in mufflers.

Would I see much of any gains from it? I would think I would see a gain going from the stock 2.25 exhaust piping to the 3" with my supercharger and all, but don't want to waste my money on something that won't really help.

Also, will it sound any different?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It will sound different for sure.

I dont think I have ever seen anyone on here prove any gains with a cat back tho. I wouldnt expect to get anything noticeable out of it.

With your setup it would probably be worth it. I doubt you would gain much from it but it would change the tone. When I was looking at catbacks I was told if I wasnt going to be making 450hp+ I would probably be loosing power. I am sure some of the guys that have a built car will be more help, thats just what one of my friends told me.

If your mid pipe is 2.5" go 2.5". If your mid pipe is 3" go 3". Your power nuimbers are there where 3" wont hurt you, and may give you a few more ponies. And with 2.25" pipes it could be hurting your power #'s a bit. But if your mid pipe is 2.5" having 3" pipes after that wont really help. I would aslo suggest a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Hooker muffler. A 2 chamber Flow would be OK but the drone gets annoying. Now I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I had a 450 horse small block powered Nova with headers, 3" pipe and I first had "Purple Hornies" then 2 chamber Flows. Both were LOUD.

If your mid pipe is 2.5" go 2.5". If your mid pipe is 3" go 3". Your power nuimbers are there where 3" wont hurt you, and may give you a few more ponies. And with 2.25" pipes it could be hurting your power #'s a bit. But if your mid pipe is 2.5" having 3" pipes after that wont really help. I would aslo suggest a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Hooker muffler. A 2 chamber Flow would be OK but the drone gets annoying. Now I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I had a 450 horse small block powered Nova with headers, 3" pipe and I first had "Purple Hornies" then 2 chamber Flows. Both were LOUD.

Would there be any disadvantage to going ahead and getting the 3" catback when my midpipe is 2.5"? I guess im just looking at it going, well eventually ill probably want to change out to a 3" midpipe, so why not go ahead and get the 3" catback instead of a 2.5....?

Thanks for the replies everyone!