300+ HP 302 build

1320stang

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1998
Edmond, Oklahoma
Looks like I'll be helping a buddy build a 302 for his '54 F-100.

I've got a nice 302 block, plan on putting a spyder in it and possibly going with a 331 kit. I'm thinking N/A but we may put a 100 shot to it. Initial thinking is iron heads, but he may budget a set of aluminum heads. He's talking carb, but I'm thinking EFI with a throttle body on a carb intake, sorta like the Edelbrock system. I know a guy that is an Accell dealer and might be able to hook us up with one of their systems. It'll end up being a show truck/parade truck. Probably use a AOD and 8.8 Exploder disc rear. Powdercoated frame, all new lines and wiring, a frame off deal.

Wanted some outside input of ya'll's thoughts. It's not a "money is no object" deal, but he's looking to invest 8-10k in it. We've got a good paint and body guy who has done show cars before, he used to restore Model A's so he knows old metal.

Even a 4.6 or 5.4 isn't out of the question if we can pic one up used at a decent price. I know of a local guy that buys and parts out late model Fords so he may end up being a good source.

• Sponsors (?)

A 300+ HP 302 these days is easy, especially if you are going with EFI. I can name you dozens of cars I have known that have hit the 300 RWHP number in Fox Mustangs.

My buddy had a 94 Cobra that we did nothing but bolt ons to. It had Gt-40X heads, a Crane 2031 cam (Crane's E303), long tube headers and a nice exhaust system. It also had pulleys and a Pro-M 77 Mass air along with a 65mm throttle body with the stock Cobra intake (cast GT-40) with the stock 24 lb/hr injectors. We used a tweaker computer tuner to dial it in but once we were done the car was making over 300 HP at the wheels and was propelling a heavy 94 Cobra to 13.00s at the track on street tires.

It is very easy and economical to hit the 300 RWHP level with an EFI car these days considering all the used parts for sale that are cheap and quite capable of this modest goal. It will be much harder to hit this target with a carb and have it consistent and get good economy at the same time. This Cobra was still capable of 23-24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph with a 3.73 axle ratio.

This was a T-5z car by the way, you will have a much harder time hitting 300 RWHP with an AOD as it truly sucks the power away.

Yeah, the only thing I see wrong with your formula is the use of the conventional late model style EFI. He wants the more traditional styled look, I'm only suggesting the carb style throttle body as everyone knows they're more everyday friendly once they're "right".

I'm thinking of a dry nitrous plate and adding the fuel at the injectors instead of at the plate. Yeah, a little more thought involved, but the overall installation would be cleaner.

Now if he wants to do the mod motor deal, that sorat changes things. A 3 valve Mustang engine and auto tranny is a whole different story and we'd probably end up with a Procharger as he almost put one on his '97 Cobra once and I know a Procharger dealer.

BTW, the whole IRS deal in the cobras is over, right? Hmmm, there's always the T-bird IRS.....

You can use the late model EFI wiring and everything with the system you are talking about. You just have to weld bungs in the intake for the injectors and make an adapter plate for the throttle body to fit where the carb is and you will have to figure out a way to make the Idle Air Bypass system work properly. I built a 93 coupe with a 351 and a similar setup using stock electronics and the tweaker I spoke of earlier and with a stock bottome end, ~.600 lift cam, and Victor Heads (2.05 intake ones) the car runs consistent 11.30s with a T-5.

The only issue with going this route is the choice of intake you use to get the power where you want it and a matched cam of course.

BTW....we have an '03 Cobra IRS that I am going to install in my buddies 57 F-100.

1320stang said:
Yeah, the only thing I see wrong with your formula is the use of the conventional late model style EFI. He wants the more traditional styled look, I'm only suggesting the carb style throttle body as everyone knows they're more everyday friendly once they're "right".

I'm thinking of a dry nitrous plate and adding the fuel at the injectors instead of at the plate. Yeah, a little more thought involved, but the overall installation would be cleaner.

Now if he wants to do the mod motor deal, that sorat changes things. A 3 valve Mustang engine and auto tranny is a whole different story and we'd probably end up with a Procharger as he almost put one on his '97 Cobra once and I know a Procharger dealer.

BTW, the whole IRS deal in the cobras is over, right? Hmmm, there's always the T-bird IRS.....

I instantly thought of this new fuel injection system from retro tek speed. I don't know much information on it or costs, but if you want a real conventional look, this is what you could always look into.

fullsizeimg2wb0.jpg

You could always take the 97 teksid block and grab a 03+ top end swap for around $2500. You would be saving almost 100lbs and be a real affordable supercharged route.

Attachments

• fullsizeimg2wb0.jpg
    fullsizeimg2wb0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 103
This intrigues me - first, I apologize for my ignorance.

Can someone tell me how you "know" if you have a 302 block? Is the block identified in some way? Can you tell if you have a 302 block without measuring the stroke?

I thought that the only difference between a 289 and a 302 was the stroke. I thought that you could use a 289 block, lengthen the strock and get to a 302. Is this inaccurate? A little schooling would be appreciated!

There is not stroke per se to a block. The stroke is built into the crankshaft and the rods. The blocks had "289" cast into them and when Ford switched they started having "302" cast into the lifter valley. I just went out and checked the '99 Explorer shortblock in my garage and it actually had "5.0L" cast into it.

I have heard, but have never measured, that the bores are a little longer in the 302 block to compensate for the approximate 1/4" increase in stroke. I cannot confirm this as the only 289 block I have left is in my Shelby and a complete engine. If this is true I think there is enough room to make a 289 a 302 but probably not advisable to make much of a stroker out of it. I am sure someone can confirm this issue.

I have a 289 and a 302 bare block and can compare, but as I recall, they're the same. The reciprocating assembly is what makes it a 302 or a 289.

Jade, that's pretty cool looking. Sorta reminds me of the EFI Stromburg carbs that are meant to look stock.

Larry, send me your email address and I'll send you pics of the 331 sixpack I built for my 89 Ranger. Might change your buddy's thoughts on going EFI.:D This build is a 5.0 roller block, Z303 cam, Canfield heads, Eagle stroker kit. Total cost was $4500 with the induction.

It's not a performance build, it's a reliable driver friendly 300 rwhp build. Given his money, probably a $2000-$3000 build. The truck needs a new bed, running boards, the whole truck will be rewired and plumbed, all new glass, interior, gauges, paint, wheels & tires. It's a stock, maybe painted once, '54 F-100 with a 292, 3-speed, '54 rear end truck. What glass isn't cracked is milky or delaminated. Overall the truck is pretty straight, but the bed is shot and one of the fenders is a spare tire fender.

Why not pick up a roller 5.0L, a rebuild kit ~800 for both, and then a new cam, used intake, carb, headers and then have the heads ported? You could easily make 300hp for around ~1500, and SUPER reliable.

1320stang said:
It's not a performance build, it's a reliable driver friendly 300 rwhp build.

just saying i don't think you're going to want an engine that doesn't have a whole lot of low-end torque in a heavy truck unless you want to put some steep gears in it.