302 Engine build....

I would like to know who sugested this engine builder. Are these your ford friends or chevy guys? Sounds like your engine builder doesn't know fords very well. I think he knows that the ballance changed in 81 so he wants everything from an older block because he doesn't know who to make the newer stuff work. Thats fine, but telling you its because of strength is not true. If you wanted 300hp......no bid deal. roller 302, any aftermark head, RPM or weiand intake, holley 600 and shorty headers.

Austin

Oh and that article about the AFR heads is way bloated. Pure dyno majic. Take stock roller 302, slap a carb on it w/ a rpm intake and you will get about 240hp (max). Then go to AFR heads and you will get 350hp (max). Cam it to rev to the moon w/ a victor and you might get 380hp (but that isn't w/ the stock cam and RPM intake).

• Sponsors (?)

The builder told me straight up

That he did not do many ford motors. As far as his refences, everybody around here uses him, and their are many other choices available.

His explaination about why he wts an older block is strong crank that will hold together better under a little hot rodding. He thinks the 2 peice rear main is an advantage for some reason too.

Yall really got me confused now, being as I know little about this subject, and this guy was highly recommended, I was gonna pretty much let him have the say so on how to build this motor. He knows I`m trying to get the biggest bang for the buck, and the guy has too much pride in his work to do anything sloppy.

I make my living by going with "gut feelings" on every decision I make, 99% of the time they are right. I have talked to some other builders about the same build, and none of them gave me the warm fuzzy feeling like this guy does. I`ve been to some car shows lately, and every one that has used this guy loves his work, he is even a little higher priced then most, but they use him anyway.

reputation means a lot in engine building circles so if he has a good one that's cool, but i'd still want to know everything he does. a lot of old school engine builders still like to keep secrets, even from the customer, but that doesn't do anyone any good any more. so if the guy is up front about why he wants those parts and you trust him/his reputation then go for it. i just don't trust those engine builders that keep everything secret and this guy sounds like one of those types.

i can see his reasoning somewhat though. the older stuff is thicker and has more iron and nickel content, but maybe not a lot more, so it tends to be a little stronger.

To be honest

He was pretty specific on a few things, but most of it was over my head. I`ll fill yall in when he can make me understand it. He did insist on me paying the money for ARP bolts though, I think thats a good sign.

I understand going w/ feelings. If I wasn't bolting it together myself, and felt he would do a good job, I would let him do it too. I just wanted you to know some of his reasoning is sound. Like what was said before. The only difference in the pre-81 date is ballance...not strength.

I got the skinny on some of the parts

He is putting World Heads on it, 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust. 200cc flow

Power Plus intake

Double roller timing chain

Stage 1 cam

Hardened push rods

Bored and balanced motor.

All for $2600 bucks