302 Engine Tick Help Needed

wrif2049

May 23, 2010
USA
1989 302 with 130k miles, new headers, running 5w30 high millage and 91 oct. also stored winters

I recently put on aftermarket headers on the car with appropriate gaskets and after doing so (a mouth later) I am getting a ticking noise form the driver’s side of the engine, it is typically louder at start up and gets quieter once the engine is fully wormed up or is under load but it never fully goes away. The part that is troubling to me is that if you put your finger on the park plug cap while the engine is running you can feel it when it ticks on the driver’s side but not the passenger’s side.

So my question is what should I look at first, anyone else deal with this before and if I keep driving my car is there a risk of greater damage?

• Sponsors (?)

Your header bolts may be loose try to tighten them because you say your mustang has new headers and you will have to tighten them a few times to get them to seal. Make sure the motor is warm when you tighten them but not so warm that you will burn your self. Good luck.