302 to 351w fox swap, 6 speed? gear?

• Sponsors (?)

GSP393 said:
I'm building a 393 for my street/strip/show car. I'd like to be able to run something like a 430 gear for dragracing and maybe a 273 highway. Is this possible with a 6 speed and what gear should I use in the rearend?

The best I can suggest is to setup an Excel spreadsheet to model up some of the options.

There are more OD gears available for the t56 than the t5, but the options are not infinite.

I can email a spreadsheet to you of what I did, but you will need to make some changes in order for it to apply to you.

Do you have access to Excel?

jason

With a 393, you'll have lots of torque, so you won't need wall climbing gears to get rolling quickly. Too much rear gear with a high torque engine and all you do is spin the tires. It gets very difficult to communicate all that power to the ground and still be streetable. Try something around 3.55 and you'll be fines. Use a TKO 600 with the 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, 0.64 gearset and you will be hard to beat at the track and easy on gas for road trips.

I'll definately consider them when I get ready for it. My main concern was having a good low end and still maintain decent mileage. My engine should produce 450-500hp and av-gas isn't cheap. :)
If I can do this with a 5 speed all the better. More money I can spend on something else.

GSP393 said:
I'll definately consider them when I get ready for it. My main concern was having a good low end and still maintain decent mileage. My engine should produce 450-500hp and av-gas isn't cheap. :)
If I can do this with a 5 speed all the better. More money I can spend on something else.
Av-gas is great for carb'd cars, I have done it before. Just don't try to use it on an EFI setup with O2 sensors. The lead poisons the O2 sensors.

I'm going carbed. I've got a Wieand Stealth intake and I plan on getting a 800cfm carb, either Holley or Edlebrock. I'm ditching the smog/emisions BS so the O2 sensors will be a thing of the past.
What I've figured so far, my set up will only be 2.613" taller than the stock 302 efi that's in the car now. I just need to know how much room is between the efi and the hood.

GSP393 said:
My wife has Excel, I can forward it to her.
Thanks

Go ahead and PM an email address I can send it to.

Here is what I was planning for my next T-5.

Rear 3.55

I currently have a 3.27 rear.
The above re-geared T5 will allow slightly better mechanical advantage in 1-3, but the fifth gear will provide very good fuel economy at highway cruising.

I have a couple of graphs in the excel sheet that illustrate the difference between a couple of options I was exploring.

You will have to enter your own gear ratios, but I think I made it fairly easy to do.

If anyone else is interested just say the word.

jason