306, 331, 347, or 351? Really lost...

What type of setup?

• Total voters
Alright, I've been kicking myself lately on what type of engine setup to run. My 302 have X115,XXX miles on it, and is buring a quart of oil about every 700 miles. Black as smoke comes out of the exhaust under WOT, basicly going out.

My goal is to get my car into the low/mid 12s in the quarter, 350HP, 400TQ; just short of having to put a roll cage in my car. This will also be a summer daily driver. My budget is about $5k, but if I can go as fast for cheaper, all the better. I will convert to MAF when I get a chance, so any help on MAF senors, or injectors will help! The roots type blower will come next year (maybe, maybe this year if I save enough money!) This price is excluding suspension setups, and trannys (probably go with the 3550). I'm mostly looking for help on a N/A buildup. NO NOS!

I would take my stock block, put maybe an e303 cam (undecided, want a lopy/stong ass cam), Edelbrock Performer, 70MM TB, AFR165s, 24lbs injectors, 75 MAF, and run a roots type blower on it, 8-12 lbs.

I was originally wanting to go with the 331 with 8-12 lbs of boost. I don't think the stock block will be able to take much boost, if any if I go this route. So I was thinking maybe a Dart block, DSS 331 stroker kit, AFR185s, E303 cam(Undecided, see above), 30 lbs injectors, 1 5/8 LTs, 80MAF (?), 75mm TB, Edlebrock RPM II

Pretty much the same setup as the 331. Not a good choice for a daily driver?

I'm pretty much lost in this category. I havent' really looked into it. I've heard things about 351C being "better" than 351Ws, but whatever.

I'm thinking the 351 might be the better choice. I don't want to modify any of the engine bay to fit the 351 in, if there is any. I've read that for a DD, the 331 is a better choice than the 347. Any help is greaty appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, you do sound lost. This subject has been brought up before, but yet so many quesions seem unanswered because sometimes there is not definate answer. Lets put it this way, it's all in the build. As far as weather you go with a 302W or 351W based block buildup, that is up to you. You will need to replace more things if you go 351W, and it will add about 100lbs to the front of the car, but then again the potential is much greater. For the 302W based block, you already have everything pretty much.

Your $5000 budget will be hard with a DART based motor.

I build forged stock block strokers in the $2450 range, DART based block in the $4300 range....

331 vs 347 the same for a daily driver, both will last a long time and make a lot of power. I prefer to build 331 combo's for blower application sinc you can usually get a more desired compression ratio with a shelf piston, although there are options with the 347. If you go 347 build it with a 5.315" rod, keeps a little more meat on the piston, and keeps the pin out of the ring lands.

Here is my recommendation, and what I would build myself....

331, 9.1-9.5:1
AFR185's
42# inj (30# if staying NA for awhile)
80mm MAF (Professional Mass Air Systems)
75mm TB
1.625-1.75" header
Holley, TFS Track Heat, or a RPM II intake
CUSTOM CAM (A custom cam would yeild the most power and good drivability, although there are off the shelf grinds much better then a E303 avaialble. A custom cam would require a spring upgrade on the heads. Springs, and Viton seals are @ $200)

Unless you stay with a older 351W block (69-74) you are not really gaining any strength over your 302, they are still weak right up the middle. The 351W swap can get expensive with the extra parts needed. Don't even consider a 351C.....aftermarket support is few and far between.

I just finished a 331, AFR185, GT-40, Mild Wolverine cam, 42# inj, 80mm MAF, 70mm TB, V2-SQ trim Vortech for a guy here on SN "94Silverbullet". It runs great, the cam has enough lobe to let you know it is there but is 110% streetable and should pass MD emissions, power is smooth from idle to Redline.

Rick 91GT said:
AFR185's
75mm TB
1.625-1.75" header
CUSTOM CAM (A custom cam would yeild the most power and good drivability, although there are off the shelf grinds much better then a E303 avaialble. A custom cam would require a spring upgrade on the heads. Springs, and Viton seals are @ $200)

I just finished a 331, AFR185, GT-40, Mild Wolverine cam, 42# inj, 80mm MAF, 70mm TB, V2-SQ trim Vortech for a guy here on SN "94Silverbullet". It runs great, the cam has enough lobe to let you know it is there but is 110% streetable and should pass MD emissions, power is smooth from idle to Redline.

Should the first setup be in my $5K range?
On the one you built for 94Silverbullet, without the Vortech how much did that run?

Rick 91GT said:
Your $5000 budget will be hard with a DART based motor.

I build forged stock block strokers in the $2450 range, DART based block in the $4300 range....

331 vs 347 the same for a daily driver, both will last a long time and make a lot of power. I prefer to build 331 combo's for blower application sinc you can usually get a more desired compression ratio with a shelf piston, although there are options with the 347. If you go 347 build it with a 5.315" rod, keeps a little more meat on the piston, and keeps the pin out of the ring lands.

Here is my recommendation, and what I would build myself....

AFR185's
75mm TB
1.625-1.75" header

Unless you stay with a older 351W block (69-74) you are not really gaining any strength over your 302, they are still weak right up the middle. The 351W swap can get expensive with the extra parts needed. Don't even consider a 351C.....aftermarket support is few and far between.

do yourself a favor and listen to this man :hail2: :flag:

When I first got my car, I always thought 331 had a nice ring to it. I think I'll go 331. I've only run into one 331 before, and it sounded the same as my car does. It wasn't any louder, or deeper. Maybe he just had the 331 badges on it?

A good thing with Rick 91GT, 1.625 (1 5/8) headers means I didn't waste my money on my lts! lol I can still use them!

Damn, I can't WAIT for a few months to go by. Hopefully I get this engine in before October when my car goes into storage
My current engine is weak. I ran "about a 1/4 mile" and the fastest I got was 16 seconds. I call is about a 1/4 mile because it's about a 1/4 mile, but it's also uphill slightly AND my time was my CD player lol. It does smoke though, looked white behind the car...