347 Starter squeal

hotpony

Founding Member
Feb 26, 1999
Lee County, KY
Man I am drawing a blank here. I have an 88 GT with a brand new 347 with a Ford Motorsport 28oz flywheel PN FMS-M-6375-A302B. I had the stock starter in there at first but it made this terrible squeal when starting. I pulled the starter and the flywheel looks fine but there was a bit of rolling on the starter gear. I replaced it with a 93 duralast mini starter and fired it up today. Sounded better but still had a strange squealing noise while it's starting and mainly when I let off the key and the bendix is disengaging.

The only thing I can think of is that I used a LMR spacer plate, https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7007R/mustang-bellhousing-spacer-plate-7995-50 and possibly it is putting the starter too close to the flywheel. I'll have to pull the starter back out and do some measuring I guess.

Anyone had this issue? Cant really space these starters out in this configuration.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The starter had some pretty good wear on the pinion gear. The FMS flywheel had zero wear on it, its brand new. I can pull the new starter back off and see what it looks like. I've started it 8 times since I put it on this weekend.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound too bad to me, but maybe it's the video.As long as the flywheel looks good,the starter has a lifetime warrantee....

Yeh not too bad just that little squeak at the end. Also listening to the other one my turns over hella slow! This is a brand new 93 starter, maybe my battery sucks ass. This is a 9.5:1 347, only has about 30 miles on it.