351 Cleveland?

I have access to an old 351 cleveland short block. The guy just doesnt want it any more, but what I am wondering is what all would I have to change to get it to work in my car? Has anyone done it here?

Would I be better off just buying another 302 and building it ,or a power adder for the $$$ that I would be spending on the 351? Any help is much appreciated cause I need to let the guy know if I want it or not. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The Clevelands arent as easy as swap as the 351windsors are from what i have read before. I dont think there are as many aftermarket parts for them either. Im not sure what you would have for header choices outside of a custom setup.

I think money for money, a 351w would be better for your actual car. Moddin up the 302 with go fast parts would be the easiest.

Clevelands are excellent motors, they were better than the 351W back in teh late 60s and early 70s, but today the after market is lightyears better for the 351W. Take the block sell it and make some money to build a more after market friendly engine, but don't put the cleveland into the late model mustang as you'll most likely have to fabricate a lot of things.
--Tim

YEah the cleveland is a great motor, VERY strong even with 2 bolt mains. But the aftermarket is very weak. Your pretty much limited to ford heads and flat tappet cams unless you get the lifter bores opened up and some other work done. Also they are dry intake manifold which i like but you will have a hard time finding one that will work with Fuel injection and even if you didnt you could make it work with the stock harness. I would say not to attempt to use it on ur car.

I agree with all the above. I had a 351C 2V in my 71 Mach I and it was wild. Getting a 351C block that hasn't been bored to hell and back is very rare. If you had heads and an intake I'd say go for it! You will have to pay to get lots of things fabricated. In today's world, and without the heads, I'd say that unless you really want it and understand how much work it will take to make it work, don't bother. Sell it, get a 351W out of a truck, get a good set of heads and a cam, and it will kick a std. 351C's butt every day of the week. If you have the cash get a stroker kit for it.

It is a great motor, but he will need a lot of major parts like: heads, intake, distributor, headers, timing cover, dampner, pulleys, brackets, accessories, motor mounts, trans bell housing, oil pan, radiator. You can forget about passing any smog tests or having A/C. Most of the brackets he will need are 20 years old, if he can find them at all. Starting with nothing but a short block it not a good start. He may need a new hood because it may not fit under a stock 94 hood. This would have to be a labor of love, because it will be a royal PITA and it won't be cheap!

Dont know the serial #'s yet I will be going to pick it up on friday. From what the guy told me is that it came original in a old mustang that he had. He has what he called ''cobra jet heads'' on it but I dont think he wants to get rid of those, but if they are any good should I try to get those too?

Is there any difference in any of the C351's through the years they were made? I may just keep it and build it. Because I can get a 83 hatchback V8 mustang from another guy I know not running complete car for 500$(he was going to make it a drag car but he has to move now so he's selling). The guy also has a built C6 trans he said he'd sell me. Is that a good tranny?

Sorry for all the questions just want to know what i'd be getting into before I go head first into all of this. :rolleyes:

Southern94Cobra said:
Dont know the serial #'s yet I will be going to pick it up on friday. From what the guy told me is that it came original in a old mustang that he had. He has what he called ''cobra jet heads'' on it but I dont think he wants to get rid of those, but if they are any good should I try to get those too?

Is there any difference in any of the C351's through the years they were made? I may just keep it and build it. Because I can get a 83 hatchback V8 mustang from another guy I know not running complete car for 500$(he was going to make it a drag car but he has to move now so he's selling). The guy also has a built C6 trans he said he'd sell me. Is that a good tranny?

Sorry for all the questions just want to know what i'd be getting into before I go head first into all of this. :rolleyes:

Well if you are going to keep it carburated and put it in a drag car then yeah the 351 will make a great race motor. As for those edelbrock heads i believe they scraped that idea because i was just on their site and didnt see anything about it. A Stroked 351C and some cobra jet or boss 351 heads would make a damn burly combo.

Southern94Cobra said:

Cobra Jet heads are damn good, but as with any leaded gas engine head you'll have to get hardened valve seats in order to run unleaded gas. Also Ford Racing offers Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads, but I'm not sure if they only fit 429\460s or if they also fit clevelands.
Tim

I realize that the performance based 351C was a powerful engine for it's time, but I think the 351W is really given a bad rep. when it isn't called for.

For example, the 351W main bearing diameter is 0.250" larger than the 351C.

The earlier 351W had thicker cylinder walls than the 351C.

Not to mention that the 351W and 302 share many engine components (minus the lower intake and a few others).

I don't know you personally so please don't be offended, but if it WAS me and I had to think about it, as opposed to just knowing that I'm going to do it, then the simple fact that I was unsure would tell me not to do it.

Kinda like the "if you have to ask what the price is then you can't afford it" little saying. If you aren't 100% then you are 0%. A 351W swap is time consuming and difficult, even with all the write-ups in the world, saying to "unbolt something" isn't anywhere as easy as "actually unbolting it" you will run into stuff you hadn't planned for, you will go over budget. And you are looking at a Cleveland, even less uncahrted (although it is similar to a windsor in some respects, in the heat of things you'd swear it wasn't even made by ford). Even in magazines, with people whos livings are dedicated to wrenching, run into trouble every now and then. So be prepared, you have to really want it, otherwise it will be extremely stressful both on you and on your wallet.

Not trying to discourage you, only prepare and brief you.

Good luck tho, there is nothing like having the Windsor or Cleveland that SHOULD have come standard in stangs. :nice: