351C heads on a 289...How to.

To Thumper460, I say "horse hockey". If you knew anything about Ford small blocks you would know that 289 rods are longer than 302 rods. If you were building bogus boss 302's with 302 crank and 289 rods the pistons would hit the quench area on the heads.

• Sponsors (?)

To Thumper460, I say "horse hockey". If you knew anything about Ford small blocks you would know that 289 rods are longer than 302 rods. If you were building bogus boss 302's with 302 crank and 289 rods the pistons would hit the quench area on the heads.

And you're wrong on this info.:nono: The Boss 302 pistons have a shorter pin height allowing the use of 289 length rods in a 302. The Original Boss rods were improved Hi-po 289 rods.

Tracim....

Good call!! And maybe that is why we used the shorter compression height on the Boss 302 piston.. Maybe that is why we called it a Bogus Boss cause we used the stock 289 rods vs the Hi-po or BOSS rods. And maybe that is why we used the C head ( as the Boss did ) vs the W head cause of the quench and valve angles. And maybe you should not Diss some one on the site with out having all the facts your self!! As a matter of fact, the First engine I rebuilt was probably 20 years befor you were born!! The First Bogus BOSS I built was probably 10 years befor you were born!! Am I old?? NO!! You are young!!

Just me...............................................

Thumper

I use an adapter from PME !! costly, but worth it.. then we can use a 302 Boss Tunnel ram....

We are now bumping up the cubes and doing the winsdor lower with 4V closed heads... going to have to buy custom pistons... hell.. howabout a 393 cic, 300 CC 4V 2.19/ 1.71 valve street cleaner... lol!!

Just me..........................

Thumper

i'd like to throw some aussie heads on a 5.0 HO with a custom 5.0 EFI intake and have a factory looking EFI Boss 302!!!!! :D

one of these days i'm going to build a 69 ranchero as DD and that would be an awesome motor for a 'chero

Yep... zackly!! But I'll bet the 70 C engines were all over the place just waiting to be used in 1969!! Yes??

Other stuff!! Grumpy Jenkins tried to get the C heads on a SBC!!
Befor there was a BOSS there was a SBF "Tunnel Port" like the 27's!!

Just me......................

Thumper

Actually the Boss 302 was built before the 351C. The same heads were used on the 351C.

that's basically correct. the boss 302 heads were based on prototype 351c heads that were rushed to production on order to get rid of the tunnel port 302 heads ford had been using because they were so rev happy that the engines tended to scatter the bottom end all over the track. then engines couldn't take the constant revs that the tunnel port heads needed to make power so ford switched to a modified cleveland style head instead because it made more power at a lower rpm (as contrary as that sounds considering the heads had such huge ports).

even though the cleveland came out after the boss 302 the boss 302 head was still actually a cleveland head, like i said the cleveland was still in the prototype stage at that point. now don't misunderstand me, the boss 302 head was it's own casting and NOT an actual cleveland head but it was based on the prototype cleveland head and i'm quite sure the common clevor modification came directly from ford using said prototype cleveland heads modified to use on the 302 as the prototype for the boss 302 heads. i'm also quite sure that ford used that experience when they finalized the design for the cleveland motor as well

Hello from here in oz

i am new and one of those backyard pretend mechanic's i have 2 engines i am curently building first is the bad boy 383 clevo expecting about 590 ponies with the chi headed stalion @ .500 to .550 lift.

The second is a 357 clevor

just to help you guys or anyone interested

in Australia we had a 302 locally made cleveland motor till about 83- 84 odd they are over the place here and beside the obviouse machine work we all know of for the clevor build heads, drill block ect... ect... the 302c engine supplies nearly all parts for a 351 clevor the heads work great because of the small chamber size of between 55 and 60cc's depending on year and using the rod and piston combined wit there heads means you still get good compression even with the piston sitting in the hole 1.9mm

the 302 cleveland rod lenth is 6.025inch and with use of the 302/351 cleveland pistons no need for expensive after market or custom pistons the whole motor bar manifold can be oem ford for all those who sweat blue

the reasons for the aussie 302c heads and not 351c heads is with the pistons sitting in the so far in the hole the smaller cc chambers give comps of between 9.3 to 10.3 depending on the year of the heads if you need a higher comp shave the heads or deck the block.

hope this helps all you budget clevor builders provided parts or similar are available there in the states

whats the easiest method for closing off the clevelands water ports in the heads?

also are you guys running custom pistons? or is it possible to run an off the shelf flat top piston if the compression distance was pretty close?

say 302 rod and a 289 stroke crank to achieve a 351c flat tops compression distance?

The easiest way to block the ports may be to use the Cleveland head gasket and install it backwards if they'll work with the other passages, I'm not 100% on this, but just a thought off the top of my head. The 302 rods may be too short and end up with the pistons interfering with the crank counterweights at BDC.