351C, Timing Cover, Damper, Chain

Cupid

Mar 30, 2006
I may have to change my timing cover. I think I may have water passing through.

Questions?
1. Where in the heck can I buy a 351C Timing Cover?
2. Since I may have to tear the front of the enging apart, I was wondering should I replace the damper. How could I tell if it needs replacing.
3. Standard timing chain or go with the gears? (advantages disadvantages)
4. Any surefire ways to tell if water is getting in your oil. I have a little latte action going on and i'm not totally sure it's not condensation.

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm a newbie!:D

• Sponsors (?)

I have an extra cleveland cover if you need. Use a good quality double row, roller chain set. Inspect the rubber separating the inner from the outer ring of the damper. They last a long time, very few don't. If you've got a milkshake in the oilpan, it's a good bet it's a water or coolant leak. Pull the valve covers, flush the stuff down into the pan with diesel or gasoline (don't smoke) and change the oil and filter, use the cheapest oil you can find to replace it with. Run it again ant see if it has the same results. If it comes out clean, run it awhile with the cheap oil then do another change with the good stuff.

351C Timing Cover

D.Hearne,

Cupid has first dibs on the 351C Timing Cover, but if he doesn't need it, I may want it. The T-cover on my 351c is seriously pitted from the years, and I can't find one anywhere! I'm building a 408 stroker for my 72 convertible and want to replace my cover plate with a more suitable part.

Let me know.

Thanks