351w EFI Pinto ready to fire up

78pinto

Mar 1, 2004
Ontario, Canada
well, tomorrow i'm gonna fire it up for the first time with this set up, i'm hoping for the best!
engine_pics_026.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

kram2 said:
I live in Brantford, so the autofest sounds good. Where abouts in St Thomas is it held?

Friday night is a free for all cruise uptown (unofficial) Cops pretty much let ya go nuts with the smokey burnouts (as long as your not too crazy with the speed) till about 8:00 pm then the tickets start flyin at $106 a pop for unnesasary noise. Saturday they close off a section of Talbot St. (the main street in town) and have a show and shine, and Sunday at Pinafore Park is the actual car show (very packed, with cars from the States and all over) It a good time.

78cobra347 said:
What gears,what tranny, if auto how much stall?my 347 78 II runs low 11s

It's 4:11 mini spooled, tranny is a built C5 with 7 extra plates, stall is a 2500. Last year off the trailer it ran 12.7 at 105 but there was more in it i'm sure. Rear end is a nine inch with custom traction bars and frame connectors.

That thing looks pretty vicious, dude.
Really cool.

The only thing I would have done differently is the K&N filter setup. I would have cut a hole in the inner fender and had the motor sucking cold air from outside the engine bay. Those headers make a lot of heat. I'm sure there's free horsepower floating around in there, waiting for you to grab it.

PS: Is that a Mr. Gasket fan? Those are kickass.

jeffnoel said:
What size and brand of fan is that on the radiator? Has the belt-driven fan been removed?

Its a Canadian Tire (big auto part place here in Canada) Can't remember the exact name off the top of my head, but it wasn't expensive. No fan on water pump snout, only 3/4 inch of clearance between the rad and pulley bolts. :(

Blue Thunder said:
That thing looks pretty vicious, dude.
Really cool.

The only thing I would have done differently is the K&N filter setup. I would have cut a hole in the inner fender and had the motor sucking cold air from outside the engine bay. Those headers make a lot of heat. I'm sure there's free horsepower floating around in there, waiting for you to grab it.

PS: Is that a Mr. Gasket fan? Those are kickass.

thanks man, i will do the fenderwell routing. I had it done like that on the old set up that came out the other side, first i have to move some items from that fenderwell (wiring, voltage regulator, ect...) With the ceramic coating on the headers.....the heat has been reduced big time, 5 minutes after running, i can touch the headers with a bare hand! I will find out who makes the fan and post it. It's not a Mr. Gasket i do know that.

westernlady1123 said:
Incredible car! Let us know how she does.

thanks, well i fired it up today, a few minor coolant leaks (fixed) then i broke the valvetrain and cam in for about 20 minutes at between 1500 and 2200 rpms. It would not idle at all just kept stalling. I dissconected the battery for 20 minutes, unplugged the idle air control, fired it up and set the idle to about 950 rpm with the throttle stop, shut it off reconected the IAC started it again and set the TPS to .98 volts and it idles perfectly! I still have a small annoying vacum leak on the upper where the tree is located, i'll pull the upper and fix that tomorrow.

Very Kool Pinto!! That St. Thomas gig sounds like a blast, hope to see you both there! Every day in the summer in Ontario there is some kind of car happening, I promised myself I would get to more event this summer! It would be nice to hang out with people that actually own Pinto's & II 's rather then my loser friends that talk about the good old days when they did.... :D [really sad when you consider me and all my friends are between 28 and 30]
(I own the 1978 Grabber Blue Mach 1). I have not been around here for while it is always nice to come home :D