351w stroker buildup

• Sponsors (?)

Max Power said:
350 at the flywheel, give or take.

the reason i asked is.i went to a well known local shop with my engine.i told them i wanted 400 hp. we agreed a 393 stroker kit was the way to go. they said they could get 1hp per ci. with no problem.it has a .40 over bore so it should be around a397ci. well it dynoed at 251 hp/370torque at the tires.it looks like to me there are a few horses lost somewhere.i spend a chunk on this engine and its nothing like what i was expecting. i was just wondering what you guys thought the power should have been. :shrug:

dartthower said:
the reason i asked is.i went to a well known local shop with my engine.i told them i wanted 400 hp. we agreed a 393 stroker kit was the way to go. they said they could get 1hp per ci. with no problem.it has a .40 over bore so it should be around a397ci. well it dynoed at 251 hp/370torque at the tires.it looks like to me there are a few horses lost somewhere.i spend a chunk on this engine and its nothing like what i was expecting. i was just wondering what you guys thought the power should have been. :shrug:

First, what kind of dyno were you on? Second, what tranny do you have?

You can build a 393 stroker simply by adding .030 over pistons from a 302, a 3.850 stroke crank, and reusing the stock rods. Assuming you have a C6 and went this way and made no other mods, you would have added 33 hp over stock, which is not that bad. Add alum heads, long tubes, better carb, and you should see much much more than that. We would need to know more about your build.

I have a 351W bored .060 over, giving me a 362W. I have alum heads, long tubes, MSD 6AL, MSD pro-billet distrib, and a new Holley 650 4bbl. I was making 297 hp at the wheels and 396 rwT at the wheels before replacing the water pump with a meziere electric and adding a holley Blue electric fuel pump with a regulator. I expect to get to about 300 rwhp with these mods, or 400 hp at the fly (estimated, assuming 25% drive train power loss from a C6).

Tell us about your build, your mods, and the dyno you were on.

Max Power said:
Jerry, his initial question was what from his present 302 will fit the stroked 351. Go back and re-read his initial question.

the pistons.

Edit: only if he were building a 393, and then if they were .030 over. I do not know if this is also true for a 408 build.

What's wrong with it is you are using factory heads, a mild cam, and a performer intake. Once you open things up, a 750 would probably help too.

That is a very conservative build you have there.

Come take a look and we will talk numbers... Also if you want them ported will be a cost to that...

I will sell them assembled as well. Need new push rods and rockers lifters, And of course head gaskets.There out of my 68 cougar.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_95&products_id=470
Talk to Brian here. Very knowledgable and helpful and I could not find a better quality for that price anywhere. All stroker kits were made to fit 9.48 blocks. Problem is even a virgin 69 block can be lower than that already. Mine was around 9.46 already. I found this out after I already had the rotating assembly balanced so I did not want to cut the pistons down anymore. Ended up getting a thicker head gasket from cometic so keep this in mind while building the 69 block. No need for 4 bolt mains at all, also no need for a girdle, just stud the mains. This combo is good for 600 horse. Mine is 10.5-1, hyd roller and it made 519 horse and 532ft/lbs torque. And I'm also choking it down ALOT with the little 1 5/8 headers, perf rpm intake and proformed 750. Your biggest problem will be traction and how to get that smile to go away! Have fun!! :D