351w stroker kit

asilva1818

Aug 3, 2010
i have a 68 coupe with a 351w with the edelbrock top end package (performer RPM kit/2092) and I'm looking to add a little more power. I've seen some of the 393 stroker kits and 408 stroker kits out there but I'm a little worried about my heads, I'm thinking the 408 is probably to much for the heads being as small as they?? How about the 393 kit? will this work with this top end kit? what are my options? can I run the 393 without re-doing the whole top end? thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You can use either of those short blocks and you will make lots more torque but if you want the top end power above 5500 rpm I would use better heads and a bigger cam. or have some port work done on yours. Just my opinion yours may vary.

I would use them heads. Plus, not that hard to upgrade heads later. Is it optimal, no. Would it run better with bigger heads, yes. I would get a bigger cam though. A 408 with a custom cam and those heads and you will Still be at or just above 500hp. My first one made 520 hp with vic jr heads, but I was really choking it down with tiny 1 5/8 headers, dual plane intake and an old rusty 750 holley. A 408 with a good custom cam and your heads, trust me, you will be grinnin from ear to ear! Still worried? Take the valves out and clean up ALL the sharp edges and smooth everything out. That in itself will help a ton.

I run a 393 with the Performer RPM HCI kit and it actually works great. Lotsa torque, can't get traction, all the good stuff. It's about 450hp at the flywheel and to be honest, it's hard to use the extra 75hp on the street that you would get with bigger heads and a cam.

My stroker kit uses stock rods, and I had to put the 6k pill in my MSD box to be safe, because this combo makes good power well up to 6500 rpm.

Besides, heads are easy to change later. Just go for it.