351w swap help

nelio tapia

Mar 31, 2016
Hello everyone. I got a 83 mustang 5.0 302 it almost time to swap a motor in i was looking into the 351w block.
what is needed to swap a 351w in a 83 foxbody?.
i want to keep it carb.
also does the year of block matter? i found a good deal on a 351w off a 95 bronco i am planning to buy if it will work.
any differences of 351 off a truck f150 or bronco or is it the same block?
any in formation helps. thank you in advance:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Just put my 351W in last week. Let me know if you need tips. I can share what worked for me. So far it is in the car but not started.

Attachments

• 351W Swap 2.jpg
    351W Swap 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 351W Swap 3.jpg
    351W Swap 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 351W Swap 1.jpg
    351W Swap 1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 250
  • 351W Swap 4.jpg
    351W Swap 4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 210
  • 351W Swap 5.jpg
    351W Swap 5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: 3 users
Very nice brotha . What cam and valve train you running? Hydrolic roller
Very nice brotha . What cam and valve train you running? Hydrolic roller cam?
Pretty much trick flow all the way through. Stage two cam. Pistons are weisco, Scat crankshaft, 205 heads but professionally built at Creb Engineering, intake, plenum are trickflow with a cute little 90mm TB.

Attachments

• 20201105_232116.jpg
    20201105_232116.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user
It's been a while...here's my 2 cents. I stroked the 351 to 427. I'm running a holley hp efi. It made 630 flywheel hp & 600 lb/fit torque. Solid cam, 7200 rpm shift points.

I went with a dart block
PA racing drop k member. Dropped the engine 1.5" (I did this to have more under hood clearance) I didn't want a 20" cowl hood. You will probably need this k member since you want to go with a carb.
I went with coil overs
I needed a longer steering shaft.
Offset steering rack bushings
Maximum motorsports caster camber plates
Intake Manifold
Sway bar brackets from a 95 mustang, needed to drop the sway bar
351 accessory brackets
Distributor
I think I used 302 long tubes, because I dropped the engine with k member. A 351 header would run too low.
Steeda bump steer kit
Cervini hood
Youre going to need a different throttle cable from older fox body.
Oil pan

4.JPG

54.JPG

010.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_2540.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What brand and part number shaft rockers did you use? I've been looking for streetable shaft rockers. Beautiful build by the way!
Thanks! The rocker shafts are made by T&D. Mine are 1.7:1. They're not cheap. Nothing about this build was cheap....all top notch forged callies internals. I wanted all forged and machined in America. Here's the link for the rocker shafts. http://tdmach.com/product/small-block-ford-afr-205-220-225-aluminum-heads/. I used Isky solid Red-Zone EZ-Roll Roller Lifters as well....cost almost as much at the rocker shafts.

Here is some engine p-o-r-n

010.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
008.JPG
024.JPG
PRIIMG_6607.jpg
rockers.JPG

cam.JPG
HPIM7587.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
  • Drool
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
One more thing for the OP....If you use the PA drop k member, you can use the stock hood if you use the same style of intake like Driver460SZ....the passenger side pointing efi intakes. I went with a tall super victor efi intake utilizing a 4 barrel throttlebody. I needed all the clearance to fit a properly sized air filter and had to go with the larger cowl hood. If I were to do it again, I would sacrifice some top end power and use a stock style configuration to maintain the factory hood. My car has all original paint except for the fiberglass hood....it actually pains me to have that cowl hood.

Also- This particular combo started life out with a carb. It was misery with todays gas. Turn that engine off for a few minutes and your fuel will boil/evaporate off in the bowls....making a restart difficult. Under hard stops, it would stall. Misery.... I through in a Holley HP EFI throttlebody....universal kit....and it worked out much better than the carb...across the board.

Last edited:
Found my list of things!!!

427ci Ford Small Block

Cylinder Heads are 210cc Pro Comp Aluminum

60cc Chamber, 2.020 In valves (severe duty), 1.600 Ex valves (severe duty)7/16 rocker studs, 10 degree machine keepers, 10 chrome moly retainers, 1.460 dia valve springs.

351w Ford Engine Block - A Ford Roller Block Was Used.

Block was square decked

Block was line honed

Block was square bored and honed with honing plates

Engine was trial assembled twice

Lifter bores are honed

427ci Ford Parts List Break Down

Forged Wiseco pistons .040, File Fit rings .040 over, Clev H series std bearings, 4340 steel 4.170 stroke crank 28oz, SIR 4340 rods 6.200infloated, ARP Main Bolts, Felpro Rear main seal, Brass freeze plugs, Durbond Cam bearings, Trickflow Hyd. Roller lifters, Double roller Timing set, Mellings oil pump pickup, Mellings Oil Pump, ARP head bolts, A complete gasket set, Oil and Filter 15-40w, A Foxbody conversion rear sump oil Pan, Stage 2 trickflow roller cam, Harmonic balancer 4 bolt, A set of 1PC Pushrods, A Aluminum Timing Cover, Trickflow 1.6 roller rockers

Intake Trickflow TFS-51511006 Upper and lower 90mm with 3/8 spacer.

Speed Density, Microsquirt PnP

Swap AC /PS bracket

47lb Injectors using EV6 adaptors

90mm TB Accufab

High flow water pump

BBK fuel rails.

Delete - EGR, Char can.

3G alt

High-Performance TFI (Distributor already has one. This is an extra one...perhaps not needed).

Trick Flow Valve covers

Wires

Plugs

Wire separator - black

Vac. lines (Tree to wall plus PCV)

Battery

Starter Solenoid

Rad (3 row with dual fans)

255 lph in tank fuel pump

Russel fuel lines

BBK shorty headers

McLeod Street Extreme clutch (700 hp rated)

TKO trans

Clutch fork

Rear main seal

BBK cold air intake

3 inch cowl hood (Tru Fiber)

@Driver460sz is this together and running? What power numbers and what are the power bands? With the micro squirt, did you have to delete the EGR and charcoal canister? And, is this enough to make vinyl seats a good idea on the streets for easy clean up?
It’s a backwards update. He starts with the engine in the car, telling you what power it made ( 630/600@7200) and then shows the engine build steps..whatever machine shop did the work should be the reference standard for the right way to do things.
* edit..wrong engine build two different guys comparing build numbers in the same thread..easy to get confused.

Last edited:
  • Useful
It's been a while...here's my 2 cents. I stroked the 351 to 427. I'm running a holley hp efi. It made 630 flywheel hp & 600 lb/fit torque. Solid cam, 7200 rpm shift points.

I went with a dart block
PA racing drop k member. Dropped the engine 1.5" (I did this to have more under hood clearance) I didn't want a 20" cowl hood. You will probably need this k member since you want to go with a carb.
I went with coil overs
I needed a longer steering shaft.
Offset steering rack bushings
Maximum motorsports caster camber plates
Intake Manifold
Sway bar brackets from a 95 mustang, needed to drop the sway bar
351 accessory brackets
Distributor
I think I used 302 long tubes, because I dropped the engine with k member. A 351 header would run too low.
Steeda bump steer kit
Cervini hood
Youre going to need a different throttle cable from older fox body.
Oil pan

4.JPG

54.JPG

010.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_2540.jpg
Are you talking about the MM 351 swap k member bc I was thinking about ordering that one?

It’s a backwards update. He starts with the engine in the car, telling you what power it made ( 630/600@7200) and then shows the engine build steps..whatever machine shop did the work should be the reference standard for the right way to do things.
* edit..wrong engine build two different guys comparing build numbers in the same thread..easy to get confused.
I forgot which thread was backwards. Thanks for the update or backdate. I will have to review to verify the brake or parachute upgrades.