351w wont start after cam swap

Hey guys!
Ive been swapping out my cam this weekend and gotten my heads refurbished but after i gotten it all put back Together the car wont start!

When i crank the engine its seems like the battery is out of juice (ive tried with 2 different batteries, both fully charged) jo back fire or anything

The things i have tried is:
Restapping the distributor 180 degrees
Checked for spark
Double checked the timing gear (lines up at 12 and 6 o clock)
Measured the voltage through the ground connection on the engine
Double checked the firing order

The cam is a lunati barebone 280/290

Anyone got any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

When you say it seems like the battery is out of juice do you mean it just clicks or is it turning over very slow? Have you double check the wire connection at the starter? If you jumper the starter solenoid with a screwdriver does it turn over faster?

Thats about all the help I'm going to be. I'm sure others will join in. If you can take some pictures around the engine bay that might help others. Try to take pictures of the wiring so people can verify that everything is hooked up correctly.

Good luck!

It just turns over Very slow, no change when i try to bump it

The only wiring i have touched is the harness to the ignition coil, Walter temp and oil pressure sensor and the ground Going from the head to the firewall (checked that also)

I haven't installed a cam before, so I dont claim to have solid tech advice as far as that goes. Have you tried turning the motor over by hand? If so does it feel the same as it did before you worked on it. The likelihood of the starter dying at the same time as you doing the work is low, but not 0. You could take the starter off and get it tested. You could also remove the plugs and try turning it over. Since you changed the cam did you have to change push rods? Did you measure the rods to make sure they are properly lifting and opening the valves? If the valves are not opening then the starter is having to overcome a lot of pressure on every cylinder to turn the motor over.

My guess would be if you remove the plugs and the thing spins over like a top you have a mechanical issue with push rods. Again I've never done this. My advice is based solely off of things I have read and watching videos of people doing this work.

Just took the timing cover off to tripple check the timing, still spot on

The engine turns good by hand, so i dont Think anything is put Together the wrong way

The pushrods Should be the right length + i can see the valves opening and closing

The starter is 4 weeks old, so im Pretty sure its not the culprit

Good Idea with removing the plugs, i Will try that out Tomorrow (living in Denmark so its a little over midnight now)

A little update
Ive tried the following:
Re adjusted the static timing to 6 degrees
Re lashed the rockers + new pushrods
Removed the starter and tested it using a battery and jumper cables (engages nicely and got plenty of power

Ive found a ground cable on the back of the engine where the insulation are completly gone + the copper ser completly black!
Im gonna take a run to the local hardware store to grab some new wiring and change out all the ground and power wires

Any other Ideas would be appreciated

I'm at a loss on the starter issue. Is it turning the car over any faster now? Have you tried pouring a little gas down the carb to prim it or hitting it with starter fluid. It's been a while since I messed with a carb, but I've poured gas down them many times to get a car going after doing a rebuild or something similar. If the fuel was poured out of the carb or if it has been a long time since the last time the car ran it could be dry. It takes a lot of cranking to pump the fuel up. A shot of fuel straight down it can do wonders for it!