357W in a foxbody, running issues.. help

Canimakeit

Jun 15, 2004
357 windsor, 11-1 CPR, forged pistons
,h-beams. super victor intake, lunati custom grind cam, around 600 lift, 290 after .50. TW 202/160's with heavy port work. 1.6 roller adjustables mounted on 7/16 stud mounts. 15thou adjustment intake and exhaust. Flat tappet cam.

700CFM, flow tested vac sec carb, single line. Heavily modified. Ran on a stroked 351 clev at 7200RPM with no problems.

Now, the car is together and the motor is finally broken in, so, I put some racing fuel in it and when I first stick the throttle it will act like it's starving for fuel and then take off, then, at 5200 rpm it will act as if your hitting the rev limiter yet if you STAY in it past that point it will fall like it has completely ran the bowls out of fuel.

Bare in mind the rear jets are with a plate and I have no way to bring the jets out longer so I just raised the float level in the rear bowl to insane levels, like above the sight hole. Still, does the same thing with very little difference.

When the car has pump gas *92* octane with some booster in it it starts running hot and it starts doing this at 3200RPM, regardless of timing. This is the point where to me things get really weird.

I checked advance with a timing light and I get 12 to start and 36 total from 3 grand to 6k.

I have tried tuning everything.

The car has 1/2 braided fuel line from a sumped tank to the reg being pushed by a 800HP AMotive fuel pump.

7lbs fuel pressure at all times. A LITTLE high but the carb runs great until you lay in it in 2nd. 1st gear you can punch it, with a little lag at full advance and then she climbs to 6500 with no problems. The more load the sooner it acts up.

MSD 6AL box with a brand new blaster 3 coil. 3924 autolite plugs *too hot?*

Any suggestions or is it actually possible that I need to run 112 octane in this thing? shouldn't 109 race gas be plenty?

IT was running last year and did fine, only difference is the cam but it is an exact replacement for the old one and I still have a ton of P2V clearance.

Any help, I will give any info needed?

• Sponsors (?)

My guess is that it's leaning out, possibly due to that huge intake. There may not be enough signal at the carb, or you have a vacuum leak. When you say it was running last year, do you mean this particular engine and combo, or the stroked Cleveland with the same carb?

109 should be plenty for 11 to 1 given the TW heads, and if it wasn't you would have detonation under load, not stalling out at a certain rpm.