3G alternator getting too hot!?

ttt... man im starting to think its my second bad alternator in a row. That or something is wrong with my car! I let it idle up to temp and you cant put your hand on the case for more than couple seconds. Im positive my wiring is right, i added the extra ground from the block to the frame....and its my second alternator from the same place. I really dont want to buy a third alternator and have it overheat too. Anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

The volt guage checks out fine, over half way mark. I really dont want to even drive it because im afraid i will cook this alternator. I bet thats how my first one went out too. Why does my car overheat alternators!?!?

How do you know the alt is overheating? Alternators do get hot. There are times that I can't touch mine for more than a split second during the summer time (desert).

If you have a parts store bench test the alt several times, that will get it nice and toasty. It could let you know what's going on.

yea i dont know that its overheating, but five minutes after a cold start and you cant even touch it. I dont ever remember my stock one being this hot, or the alt on my truck, or anything.