3g alternator install... walk through?

• Sponsors (?)

3Ginstall.jpg

Yep, check out the link above. They will set you up with everything you need. It is very easy with their pigtailes and instructions. Call them, they had me rollin in a few hours of work after I bought their kit. sooo easy.

Did you ever get this solved? Sorry it's been a while. I'm usually on AFM or Vintage. I got the single wire 150 amp alternator and it's done SUPER. I had 2 amps, one for sub and amp for interior speakers and it's been great to me. Email me if you haven't done this and I can tell you what to get. [email protected]

just got the fuse and box for it from PA performance, so that hsouldn't be an issue.

however, what did you guys do about the pulley? i had been planning on taking the old pully off the original-style alternator, but it doesn't fit the 3g. can i use the 3g's pulley (if so, will i need a different belt)? do I need an adapter of some kind?

I've never heard of the pulley not fitting. My pulley was able to fit to my 3g alternator with no issues. I ended up having to change the belt to a 1 inch longer belt to reach the pulley.

What my dad said in the email this morning (he had taken it home to edit some battery wires and to take the pulley off with his impact wrench):

" Did Steve tell you that I took the pulleys off and they are not interchangeable – the shaft on the older versions is longer and very slightly different diameter."

(snip)
"...the shaft on the older versions is longer and very slightly different diameter."

Well, the shaft on the 1G alternator is longer - the external fan has to fit there. I've never compared the shaft diameters of the two styles, but I'd venture a guess that the 3G is a metric size.

Are you staying with v-belts? If so, look at the March 4" 1V pulley for the 3G alternator - the larger diameter helps prevent belt slipping/squeal. Or you can use a two-sheave pulley and twin v-belts.

BTW, PA-Performance sells pulleys too. Call them and ask about your application.

The above wiring scheme seems strange.

Why is the sensing wire (yellow) placed behind the fuse?

If the megafuse burns, yellow wire will pick 12.x V and provide full load to alternator's field, eventually destroying it - as the alternator's aoutput will be disconnected from the battery!