3rd Annual Sept 11th Ride for Pride Cruise

Kid Roush

Apr 10, 2004
San Diego
When do we meet?
Saturday, September 11, 2004 at 4:00 to depart for cruise at 5:00
I and some others will be there between 2 and 3pm to hangout and
Detail our rides. The cruise will take about 1½ to 2 hours depending on traffic.
We want to get to the Pentagon at sunset to be able to take pics at twilight. I have attached a time schedule of when sunset will go.

U.S. Naval Observatory
Astronomical Applications Department
Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Washington, District of Columbia (longitude W77.0, latitude N38.9):
Saturday
11 September 2004 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:19 a.m.
Sunrise 6:46 a.m.
Sun transit 1:05 p.m.
Sunset 7:22 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:49 p.m.

Where do we meet?
Fort Hunt Park
It located along the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Fairfax County, Virginia.

For those of you who are not familiar with the "Ride For Pride" Cruise....let me take you back. Two years ago I had an idea and that was to put together a cruise to the Pentagon in remembrance of those who have fallen before us. Our first year, it was a small cruise with about 10-15 cars all f-bodies, but that did not deter us. We took off and with the help of some great people like Gonzo, Mike Furtaw and Chuck Price the cruise was a huge success, we were able to actually walk and take pics at the crash site. The second year, I traded in my Camaro and got a Stang. Not wanting to be the only stang rollin with all the F-bodies, so I decided it would be great for a merging of Ford and Chevy for a worthy cause. I put the word out to the Crossroads Online and other f-body fanatics put the word out to more chevy folks. What came about was a beautiful site, Chevy’s and Mustang’s coming together with about 50 or so cars. This year promises to be even bigger.

Video of Last Years Cruise
http://www.f-bodyhideout.com/videos/2003_Ride_For_Pride_768kbps.wmv

The atmosphere will be one of great pride to be involved and a great cruise and being and American. Regardless of the ongoing Ford vs Chevy debate we will for one day put those feelings aside. This is all about American Muscle, and as such, we will come together as one. Bring flags to hang on your ride as we cruise the beltway also we will keep a speed on the highway of between 55 and 65, This is not a time for hot dogin’ or horse play on the road.

This event is open to all F-Body and Mustang owners regardless of year, make, model, car club affiliation, or website affiliation.

We need to get a list of all those who we are expecting to come out on the cruise. This will help us know what numbers we'll be working with.

For our Maryland People I will cordinate with you a spot where you can link up with us on our route If you can't make it to VA.

If you will be coming out on this year's cruise to the Pentagon, please let us hear from you on this thread so we can add you to our growing list.

• Sponsors (?)

DIRECTIONS TO FORT HUNT PARK

DIRECTIONS TO FORT HUNT PARK

From Downtown Washington, DC:

Take 14th Street Bridge south towards Virginia). Take Exit for Mt. Vernon/National Airport; continue past National Airport, through Old Town Alexandria; Fort Hunt Park is 5 miles south of Old Town Alexandria; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

Beltway from Maryland to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take very first exit after Wilson Bridge (Mt. Vernon Highway); this will put you on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

NOTE: George Washington Memorial Parkway, Mt. Vernon Highway, and Washington Street, are all the same road depending on where you are at the moment.

Beltway from Virginia to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take Exit 1 North; go to the first traffic light and take a right on Franklin Street; go about 3 blocks and take a right on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK". We will meet in parking area A.

Map of Park
http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/fohu/fohu-picnic.htm#anchor96779

Additional Activities
We meet up at Fort Hunt Park to fun hangout with friends and chill out before the cruise. You can detail your car, or just show other Muscle Car Enthusiasts your latest or upcoming mods.

We need volunteers to video tape the cruise and also compile the video. I would prefer to have at the minimum (2) people video taping the cruise just in case Murphy decides to come out!

Planned Route

GW Parkway to Gibbons
Left on Gibbons, through two lights then left on Rt 1
Once on Rt 1 get in far right lane and exit onto 495 N towards Baltimore
Follow 495 all the way round the beltway till you come to 395N.
Take 395N to Exit 8B to Washington Blvd
Take Pentagon South Parking exit Parking lot will be on left side.

Total miles of trip from Ft Hunt to Pentagon
Approximately 75 miles

We may encounter a small traffic jam near Tacoma Park in Maryland this will last on and off up until the 270/495 split.

Once there we will line up and chat for a bit as always, then take pics near Pentagon. We also go to the hill top near Headquarters Marine Corps which is about 3 minutes away to lay our wreath and hold our candlelight vigil. Please bring your own candles

There will be an opportunity to eat afterwards at a restaurant of our choosing. That will be discussed once we are there. Come out and enjoy a memorable cruise!

I was there last year and will be sure to go again this year. The wife and I had a great time meeting all the new folks, and it always leaves a good feeling in your heart to do rememberances like this. If you need any help in the planning phase, let me know.