3rd Gear Syncro Woes...ARGHHH!!!

Rebel73

Apr 8, 2008
Hey Guys,

My BRAND NEW 08 GT/CS had a "grinding" issue on the 2-3 shift, so I took it back to the dealer and after I got it back, it was fine for about a week and then ""crunch"". Arrghh!!

Now the only difference is that once the tranny warms up, the problem goes away. Before it was a full time issue.

Should I take it back? Or should I just live with it? This is apparently a known issue with these trannies as many other guys are having the same issue.

• Sponsors (?)

Does this happen even when the clutch is fully pressed down? Every once in a while I hear a grind as I do a 2-3 shift - as if I was trying to rush it and let out the clutch before I had it fully in gear. I already have to bring my car in this week for oil spraying out of the camshaft positioning sensor... I really hope it doesn't need to go in for a completely different service as well. It happens so infrequently (maybe once or twice every couple weeks) that I don't think the dealer could even do anything.

If it's just a little hesitant going into 3rd when the tranny is cold, then the dealer will probably tell you that's normal and will not do anything. FWIW, both 2nd and 3rd on my 05 S197 are a little hesitant when the tranny is cold, especially in the winter.
But if it grinds going into 3rd, then there's definitely something wrong that will get worse with time.

I had the same problems, intermittant, but rough 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Finally the tranny went south when during a normal shift (not speed shifting) at high rpm, the tranny ground hard going into 3rd. After that it started making noise any time the clutch was released, in gear or in neutral.

Took it in and it required a complete rebuild including all scyncro's and some gears (don't remember which). Since then, I haven't missed a shift and they are much smoother but I'll never really trust it again and I'm getting a MGW shifter as soon as I can afford it.

Take it in and have it fixed. It'll only get worse. Try to get a new tranny from Ford instead of the rebuild too.

Good luck with that.

that's just it. It was already rebuilt once! From what I've read on other forums, it's a crap shoot as to whether a rebuild will fix it.

It's a """grind"" going from 2nd to 3rd while the car is still cold, with the clutch fully depressed. I've been driving stick for 18 yrs, so I know it's not ME.

Take it back. This isn't a common problem and even if it is, it should be fixed. that's what warranty is for. I'd also demand a loaner since you just threw down a good chunk of change at the dealership.
As far as the loaner, the dealership that "fixed" it is not the same one where I purchased it. Does it matter?

ok,

just spoke to the service rep. I'm gonna bring it in again this weekend. Grrr...this really "grinds my gears""...

I just bought the damn car and it's been at the dealer more than I've driven it! I never had these issues on my 05!

Hey Guys,

My BRAND NEW 08 GT/CS had a "grinding" issue on the 2-3 shift, so I took it back to the dealer and after I got it back, it was fine for about a week and then ""crunch"". Arrghh!!

Now the only difference is that once the tranny warms up, the problem goes away. Before it was a full time issue.

Should I take it back? Or should I just live with it? This is apparently a known issue with these trannies as many other guys are having the same issue.

Your original post didn't say what work was done when you took it back to the dealer. Being it was rebuilt already, hang in there for a new tranny and accept nothing else. As far as a loaner is concerned, I don't think that's part of the warranty and usually only given as good will from the selling dealer, but I could be wrong.

Good luck.

Your original post didn't say what work was done when you took it back to the dealer. Being it was rebuilt already, hang in there for a new tranny and accept nothing else. As far as a loaner is concerned, I don't think that's part of the warranty and usually only given as good will from the selling dealer, but I could be wrong.

Good luck.
thanks, well, I'm going to take it back and see what the service rep recommends. My only concern that what if I end up with another "brand new tranny" with the same issue? My CS is brand spankin new, so a new tranny is no guarantee :shrug: