4.6 2v Bolt Ons

A lot of mustangers use trick flow brand stuff, match your setup together get an set of heads then get an intake that works well with those and then a cam to tie everything together. you didnt mention if your car was an auto or 5 speed, but if you get into big cams youll have to put in a torque converter in an auto
 
very light car....please share with the group. As far as bolt on do you have a throttle body plenum, under drive pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, and is it tuned properly? If not all worthwhile additions. You could spend about $3600 in parts and go to a place like modular headshop and get a heads/cam combo ready to bolt on and pair it with a trick flow intake manifold. Then there's power adders.
 
Modular head shop are there heads better than trick flow. I don't have any other upgrades just the ones mentioned. It is a 5 speed with a short throw. It does have a 2 steep though.
I would say the heads are great but nothing beats trickflow, ported pi heads might be better than stock trickflow but you could always get ported trickflows that's why I'd say nothing beats them. But those heads (trickflows) are really designed for maximum rpm they're great all around but full potential would be ported and 10k rpm. Ported pi is great for a bolt on build.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sketchy_GT
I have a 100 shot of nitrous I'm installing. That about it other than a tune. So the trick flow are probably not needed. Thanks for the info.
I would talk to Jordan at modular headshop about getting you some nitrous cams. I know they have a slightly different spec than NA and forced inductions do. Might be something to look at should help the nitrous work more efficiently with the motor.
 
Modular head shop are there heads better than trick flow. I don't have any other upgrades just the ones mentioned. It is a 5 speed with a short throw. It does have a 2 steep though.

If you only have what's mentioned then I'd suggest you throw some easy mods at it first before just going big. These 2v start off weak but can start to wake up and it can be done for relatively cheap. My approach is giving it some air ( intake, TB, tune) and let it breathe (x or h pipe and cat back) then throw a few items that free up power such as a driveshaft, UDPs, and gears (all around 2K$ new). After this you can upgrade suspension and traction and a simple bolt on 2v 5sp can run 12s consistently. It's why I bought mine, they are cheap to buy repair and modify and side from the interior still pretty sharp and aggressive with styling.
 
I have a 99 GT 4.62V. I have headers, cold air system 4.56 gears also sub frame connectors. The car weighs 2700 pounds. What are some bolt ons to get more power.
Also if you're running nitrous I would look into an aluminum intake the stock plastic and be scary to run with it. But a set of stage 2 ported heads with a stage 2 or 3 nitrous cam with intake manifold and bigger injectors would really make that car fun and since you probably won't use nitrous on the road it should be very streetable
 
If you only have what's mentioned then I'd suggest you throw some easy mods at it first before just going big. These 2v start off weak but can start to wake up and it can be done for relatively cheap. My approach is giving it some air ( intake, TB, tune) and let it breathe (x or h pipe and cat back) then throw a few items that free up power such as a driveshaft, UDPs, and gears (all around 2K$ new). After this you can upgrade suspension and traction and a simple bolt on 2v 5sp can run 12s consistently. It's why I bought mine, they are cheap to buy repair and modify and side from the interior still pretty sharp and aggressive with styling.
Would you recommend a particular I take And throttle body.
 
Also if you're running nitrous I would look into an aluminum intake the stock plastic and be scary to run with it. But a set of stage 2 ported heads with a stage 2 or 3 nitrous cam with intake manifold and bigger injectors would really make that car fun and since you probably won't use nitrous on the road it should be very streetable

The end goal is heads and cam. But that will be down the road. I'm trying to find a good throttle body and intake there is so many out there.
 
Would you recommend a particular I take And throttle body.
You have a choice between edlebrock, professional products, and trickflow there's more just those are the main. Edlebrock will change the effective rpm range of your motor it's designed for higher rpms and you'll also need special rails and other stuff to make it work. Professional products is a cheep easy replacement and comes in 3 pieces so it can easily be ported but you'll find mixed reviews on it (I had one and loved it). But the trickflow is the most exspensive but has a great design I believe the maximum single tb size is 75mm but I believe you can change it to twin. But for tb size I'm not sure. The thing with nitrous is it's a more efficient air so it's basically like a high altitude jet bringing its own air you wouldn't have to worry about a massive amount of it I would say 75mm should be good.
 
Would you recommend a particular I take And throttle body.
You have a choice between edlebrock, professional products, and trickflow there's more just those are the main. Edlebrock will change the effective rpm range of your motor it's designed for higher rpms and you'll also need special rails and other stuff to make it work. Professional products is a cheep easy replacement and comes in 3 pieces so it can easily be ported but you'll find mixed reviews on it (I had one and loved it). But the trickflow is the most exspensive but has a great design I believe the maximum single tb size is 75mm but I believe you can change it to twin. But for tb size I'm not sure. The thing with nitrous is it's a more efficient air so it's basically like a high altitude jet bringing its own air you wouldn't have to worry about a massive amount of it I would say 75mm should be good.
 
You have a choice between edlebrock, professional products, and trickflow there's more just those are the main. Edlebrock will change the effective rpm range of your motor it's designed for higher rpms and you'll also need special rails and other stuff to make it work. Professional products is a cheep easy replacement and comes in 3 pieces so it can easily be ported but you'll find mixed reviews on it (I had one and loved it). But the trickflow is the most exspensive but has a great design I believe the maximum single tb size is 75mm but I believe you can change it to twin. But for tb size I'm not sure. The thing with nitrous is it's a more efficient air so it's basically like a high altitude jet bringing its own air you wouldn't have to worry about a massive amount of it I would say 75mm should be good.
Thanks for the Info. Been a great help.
 
Skip the intake unless you're going to run high rpm and all the HP. The money is better spent elsewhere.

Cams, upper plenum/tb (accufab) and a good dyno tune are all you're going to get easily. Ported heads will go a long ways and do it all at once so your cams fit the combo.

N20 or a blower will up it more.
 
Last edited:
Skit the intake unless you're going to run high rpm and all the HP. The money is better spent elsewhere.

Cams, upper plenum/tb (accufab) and a good dyno tune are all you're going to get easily. Ported heads will go a long ways and do it all at once so your cams fit the combo.

N20 or a blower will up it more.

Accufab better than bbk? I have a 100 shot for my car that I'm installing this weekend. I was thinking about doing cams it will be a while before I can do heads. Will cams swap to new heads or do you have to replace them as well.