4 speed help

neil_home

Jan 2, 2002
Connecticut
Any one know how to get the shifter off an german ford 4 speed? I have one out of a pinto/capri/MII and cannot find out how to get the shifter out of the tranmission. The manual shows how to do it on the english version but not the one I have. I have two of them one out of a pinto and the other out of a 1979 bobcat. Both I4's. If you have any idea please help.

Neil

• Sponsors (?)

Any one know how to get the shifter off an german ford 4 speed? I have one out of a pinto/capri/MII and cannot find out how to get the shifter out of the tranmission. The manual shows how to do it on the english version but not the one I have. I have two of them one out of a pinto and the other out of a 1979 bobcat. Both I4's. If you have any idea please help.

Neil
Neil, if you have the Pinto trans and it is out of the car.........1 place gearshift lever in neutral 2 compress the corrugated rubber spring then remove the retaining snap ring and slide the spring upward on the lever. 3 bend the shift lever lock tabs up then carefully thread the plastic dome nut from the extension housing. 4 lift the gear shift lever from the extension housing. Thats the condensed directions from the Ford shop manual. Pinto and MustangII transmissions are completely different.

update

Neil, if you have the Pinto trans and it is out of the car.........1 place gearshift lever in neutral 2 compress the corrugated rubber spring then remove the retaining snap ring and slide the spring upward on the lever. 3 bend the shift lever lock tabs up then carefully thread the plastic dome nut from the extension housing. 4 lift the gear shift lever from the extension housing. Thats the condensed directions from the Ford shop manual. Pinto and MustangII transmissions are completely different.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

I got the tabs bent up. not sure what the dome nut is but will try to find it. Its been a long time but I could have swore that the transmission in my brother inlaws MII was the same as the one in my 76 Capri. Thanks for setting me straight. Now to see if I can figure out what this nut is.

Neil