Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

• Sponsors (?)

They should be about 1.5 to 2 inches shorter, the original ones are a little long in scale for a the car in my opinion. The shape is good, just need to be shorter.
If I don't find any good ones I will just use 69 camaro ones, they are easy, smaller, and readily available...

Reactions: 1 users
Took apart my steering column because the top seemed "loose".
Turns out there are 2 "T" bolts that hold the cup (where the signals guts are) to the tube. They were missing. I thought I was screwed and was planning to make something that would work, or buy another column.
Just on an off chance I decided to look in the assorted crews and do-dads that was in the back of the car when I bought it. (two coffee tins and and a bag). Lo and behold there were two little "t" bolts in that pile of screws. That was lucky. I put them in and all is tight with the column now. I will need to take it apart to restore and paint at least one more time, but now have the bolts anyhow.

On a side note, while I had it apart I discovered the grease they use from the factory on the upper and lower steering column bearings is pure garbage. After 40 some years it basically hardens to an almost plastic-like solid consistency. The lower bearing wasn't even turning, so the shaft was spinning in the bearing. Luckily no damage yet so I washed out the bearings and wire brushed the chunks of crappy solid grease to and re greased with white grease. Column spins like a hot-damn now!

I wonder if there are tilt columns to fit these things?

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if there are tilt columns to fit these things?

If you knew where there was a "fancy Granada" the tilt column fits with just minor revision. It was a thing back in the 80's. Guys were even taking the Granada cruise control and putting it to use with the column.

• Informative
That would do it. I can't remember how they did it but there was a part on the II that was needed to complete the process and some guys had damaged it in the removal and then had to go search for the part at junk yards. Most people were looking for color specific but I think at this point any color would be cool. And, you can paint it.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a tilt swap pdf I grabbed from II.org a while ago. Never followed it so cant say if it's correct.

Attachments

• Tilt Steering Column Modification.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
  • Happy
Except they are chevy columns.....:rolleyes:
They have a Chevy electrical connector on them, otherwise they are about as universal and custom length as you’ll be able to get already done. The connector is another thing you can find usually from the same supplier. Otherwise adapting in one of them shouldn’t be any more difficult than what you’d have to do with any other column. Plus one of the street rid columns do not need to have you figure out how you’re going to trim it out, they are finished.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The 65 mustang mod, Bumper, gas cap, and valence.
OIP.lTXOTfndbupMLNG_RiabmgHaFj.jpeg