Progress Thread 43 years later

I never went fishing. Didn't stray too far. I wanted to be close to my home. I'll probably go in a week or so depending on the situation in my neighborhood.

• Sponsors (?)

I just have to post my own dang fish...

OIP.mBFmKmFw1ukBJoMKkQCK-gHaHJ.jpeg

• Haha
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
My sisters used to sit under the Christmas tree and try to guess what the presents were. It wasn't until we were all in our 40's that I found out one of them would open them up and then reseal them.

Yes that's the T5 and the 355 ring, a trutrac. Leaf springs, stumpy's, bearings and seals, and shifter.

The metal and paint shop wanted the car sooner than later so I didn't have time to get in there and install the rear assembly.

Reactions: 3 users
My sisters used to sit under the Christmas tree and try to guess what the presents were. It wasn't until we were all in our 40's that I found out one of them would open them up and then reseal them.

We all did it, Guilty!
My brothers have swapped the too who tags too, Santa got very confused then mad.

T5 and the 355 ring, a trutrac. Leaf springs, stumpy's, bearings and seals, and shifter.

What no stereo, drop spindles, rims, DRINK HOLDER, or carpet? your rebuilding every other part of this stang .

I'm just mashing your taters, this car is getting the breading and deep frying for sure, gonna be a whole different ride. :coff:

yeah i just watched a KFC commercial.

Reactions: 1 user
That's some funny stuff there.
Stereo maybe next year.
Drink holder....
Carpet may be a little dirty but its brand new.
Needless to say I'm excited. Probably not driving until mid July.
So when the Army Nat. Guard goes home then I'm going fishing.

• Hell Yeah!
While I'm waiting for the engine and chassis I'm wondering if I'll need to install an electric fan. Some of you have them and at what point did you decide to go that route? HP estimate 350 at the flywheel.

I decided immediately more or less. I can't tell you which one I ended up buying anymore, but it works perfectly. I believe my controller turns it on at 180 or 190, I don't remember exactly. But now that I've gotten the temperature under control and it's stayed in the 180 range, I can tell you the fan is running when I get out of the car. :shrug:

wondering if I'll need to install an electric fan.

If your gonna sit in the garage and wait for your car and its engine and such, i suggest AC and a fifth with some beers.
Oh? you mean for the car...

on my 65 I kept the belt fan with aftermarket shroud and used a pusher in front.
The thermostatic control died early on and I've been using the override switch and forgetting to turn it on and off for yrs.

Fan is only for low speeds. If your car is not cooling if you are driving, than you need to replace the radiator. At normal driving the same amount of energy (fuel) is used with your old and your new engine (even with more HP). Perhaps your new engine will be more efficient, means it needs perhaps less cooling...
I used a pusher e-fan because it is 74 model with the different radiator support and I need to. in my 66 coupe I'm using belt fan with thermo-clutch. That is the best solution IMO, because there is less drag on the belt when no additional cooling is needed. It is still a cooper radiator (but reproduction).
If your current radiator is not completely dirty I would re-use it with all the other stock components... Perhaps upgrade to thermoclutch.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm more or less in the same boat. When I decide to pull them out and pretty everything back up I'm planning on having them media blasted and ceramic coated again. I'd start there. If there's anyone around the Minneapolis/St Paul area who does automotive ceramic coating I'd ask them. They may do both in house or have someone they send them off to, so that would make it a one stop deal for you.

Went fishing yesterday and nada, zip.
So back to the garage. I tore apart the old weed eater and got it running like new. I promptly gave it to my son-in-law to use cause he needs it far worse than I do. I had to threaten to come over there and take care of it myself.
Cleaned up the clutch, by that I mean blowing out the dust and scratching some rust off the edges of the pressure plate.
Then I started to replace the old rubber motor mounts. It started to rain and the mosquitoes decided my garage was safer than outside. Called it a day. Besides I need to get some window grade urethane which would be normally easy to do but, all the auto parts stores in my neighborhood are burned to the ground. Now I'm searching on the internet for the closest one which I think is in St. Paul. Geez.
Taking the headers in to get blasted and coated tomorrow.

Attachments

• motor mounts.jpg
    motor mounts.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 92
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
at what point did you decide to go that route?

Sitting in the wait your turn lanes at local drag strip ( since has closed) and wishing it had a chance to cool down.

You can just feel the pain...no motor....no chassis.....

I feel your pain.
Go out to the shed and fondle the exhaust for two beers and sand the gold spray paint off engine mounts.