4bbl on a 289?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi I have a stock blocked 302 which don't quote me on this is pretty much the same deal as a 289. Or at least the parts seem to be interchangeable. I'm running a weiand aluminum 4v intake manifold and a holley 600cfm carb and holley fuel pressure regulator on the street. This is a simple, reliable setup. I've heard 600cfm is the ideal size for street use. Good luck.

A few Mustangs ago I had a '65 notchback with a 289 and a Weiand X-Celerator topped with a Holley 600 double pumper. It worked pretty well with the mild ~.470"-something cam I was using.

Now I'm using an X-Celerator with a bigger Crane 2031 and Holley 650 DP with aluminum heads and it's even better!

depending on what cam you plan on using, a carb in the 500-600 cfm range is ideal. if you keep the lift below .470, and the net duration below 214 degrees, then i say go with a 500 cfm carb. at or above those numbers on the cam then go with a 600 cfm carb. for the street you want the best throttle response you can get, so smaller on the carb is better.

Its a proven fact that the 289 4V motor made more hp with the Autolite 470cfm than it did with the popular Holley 600 swap. rbohm is right on the money!

dont forget that he wants to upgrade his cam. if he keeps it small enough then a 4100 autolite is fine, but with my last 289 i wish i had a 600 cfm carb as it would have had a much better power curve.