4cyl to carbed 5.0 swap.

oo7

May 2, 2018
Washington
Hello. I currently have both cars side by side in my garage. one is an '82 with a 302 and 5-speed. The other is an '86 notch, 4cyl 4-speed. I have already pulled the 4cyl and 4 speed trans. What I need to know at this point is can I somehow use the '86 harness and modify it to work with the carbed 302, or would it be better to just use the harness from the '82? Or, can anyone tell me if the '82 harness will match up to the '86 dash harness. I have been reading threads for hours, I may have missed something. I wanted to get opinions and advice before I continue. I have owned the '82 for over 25 years so I am familiar with most mods other than the harness issues. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Sponsors (?)

The 82 and 86 are a bit different. You could always swap The dash harness and cluster from the 82 and put it in the 86 with the cimputer sand engine harness.

It actually would simplify a bunch of stuff.

Thank you for your reply. I will do that.
I have a 1991 4cyl converted to carb 5.0 with crate engine with carb. everything is gone except the frame and a few accessories. It runs great but the fuel tank leaks at the pick up seal. Tried everything to stop leak so we're considering a new tank (the tank is a "new" '91). Will a non-EFI 1986 tank fit in the frame? This will make fitting up much easier.
Thanks, fmwiii13

I am into a somewhat similar project. 1991 4cy conversion to 5.0 with carb. All computer and other stuf form EFI are gone. I runs great with one problem. The fuel tank leaks at the pickup wihich is at the lower opening in the 1991 tank. Want to know if a Non-EFI 1986 tank will fit in the 1991 frame. Anyone tried it? fmwiik13

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info on the 86 tank. I was hoping the info I provided on my conversion would help oo7. I did not do the conversion but the previous owner took out all eltrnics. it is registered as antique as it has no pollution control fmw