5.0 block compatibility

Codosuarus

Jun 6, 2021
San Diego
I have a '91 GT with HO 5.0. I also have two other cars that have 5.0s: A ' 91 T-Bird with HO 5.0, and a '96 Explorer.
I want to do some sort wild swap with the T-Bird (like maybe a blown Coyote) so this would leave me with an extra 5.0.
I also am looking at a rebuild of the 5.0 in my explorer as it has over 250K on it.
I also really like the distributor-less ignition on the Explorer and I am considering trying to swap it onto the Mustang.
These projects would be helped alot if the three engine blocks were interchangeable. For example, can I rebuild the T-Bird engine, put it in the explorer and then use the explorer engine for my next mustang project.
Specifically, Are all three of these blocks compatible with the distributor-less setup of the Explorer?
Or do the mustang and T-Bird engine blocks require modifications to fit the crank sensor and distributor plug?
Is there any reason that I could not use any of the three blocks in either the mustang or the Explorer?

All three engines likely use the same F1SE block. The difference might be in the pistons but if you are doing a rebuild this won't matter.

87-90 Mustangs and trucks used the E7TE block

1991-1995 Mustangs, and 91-93 T-birds/cougars and 96+ explorers all use the F1SE block. Really they are identical to the E7TE block other than the provision for a knock sensor.

Long story short though, you could strip a 2000 explorer down to a bare block, and use ir to rebuild a 1985 Mustang. Essentially the same thing.

If you look on the side of the block at the rear, you'll find the part number.