5.0 forced induction help

sk8fate

Nov 30, 2010
Hi there all stang enthusiast. So I just recently got rid of camaro and moved over to real power of the 94 mustang gt 5.0. So here is run down on my car. Its a 5.0 H.O. has Ford racing E303 cam. Cold air intake, Built transmission with the pro 5.0 short throw shifter, and 3:73 gears. I was thinking of going twin turbo's but everyone is telling me not to. My question what is the best type of Forced Induction for my 5.0?

Thanks

Rob

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo. It's also the most expensive. Funny how that works.

Kurt

I don't know if I agree with you on this whole most expensive thing. I have seen some pretty good budget builds. I can turbo this car for like 1500 which is fairly cheap compared to a procharger of 5g or kennebell of 6+g. Any way I was really curious on what others may have done and some rwhp numbers ect. Also about twins. Tuning? ect

Thanks

I don't know about $1500. That might buy you a used turbo and you'll spend a lot of time doing the plumbing yourself. Don't forget the other expenses that go with any forced induction; a good tune, 36+ lb/hr injectors, ugraded ignition, upgraded fuel system. You can get a used blower setup for under $1500.

Kurt

I don't know about $1500. That might buy you a used turbo and you'll spend a lot of time doing the plumbing yourself. Don't forget the other expenses that go with any forced induction; a good tune, 36+ lb/hr injectors, ugraded ignition, upgraded fuel system. You can get a used blower setup for under $1500.

Kurt

Yea plumbing is not a problem, I enjoy to work on vehicles my-self lol.
I am aware of the fuel system, I can get a walbro 255lph for 80 bucks. The tune I have a good friend who tunes off a laptop. he has a turbo set up on same year car. I can get the 46lb injectors cheap from him. Btw the turbo set up is new not used for 1500, but anyway I have yet to see a used blower for under 2g. I know gauges too, That is the cheap part, I buy glowshift tinted series. I know I would need a wideband 02 as well. Anyway on blower I have heard you can't make near much rwhp as a turboset up. Blower do you need the wideband 02 as well? Why would I need to full with my ignition? The guy who has the turbo stang runs 18psi on everything stock motor has 160xxx mi, No upgraded ignition. He has bigger injectors, walbro 255lph fuel pump intank.

All things being as equal as possible when comparing apples to oranges, a turbo will make more power because a turbo is more efficient than a supercharger.

A single turbo is more efficient than twin turbos and therefore has more power potential.

A good turbo setup tends to cost more than a centrifugal supercharger because there's simply more hardware involved.

If you're very handy however, you can put together a "junkyard" turbo system very inexpensively.

Stock ignition is fine beyond power levels that will destroy a stock 5.0 block, but if you want the engine to live, you should have some real ignition control because a boosted engine doesn't run optimally on a naturally aspirated ignition map.

If you already know someone with a turbo setup on the same year car, they can probably tell you what their rwhp is.

I love it when people ask a question.....then get an answer they don't like and all of a sudden they know what they're doing and have friends that can tune their cars on their laptops....."EBAY KIT IS 1200 BUCKS, SCREW YOU GUYS!!!" hehe

Sk8fate, if you're dead set on going turbo, put together a realistic estimate of what you think it's going to cost to buy everything (which will probably be well over $1500) and then double it. And yes, I am being serious.

I dont know how much they are...but there are a bunch of decently happy ON3 performance turbo guys on the corral forums.

But i think they can give say a KB kit a run for which is most expensive. For the options available today it is hard to simply say a turbocharger set up is more expensive. There are wayyyy too many variables involved. Sure...you can find a used Vortech setup for dirt cheap. But then there are KB chargers that cost a lot new. So...what is the comparison based off of?

Both need fuel upgrades. Both "should" get ignition upgrades. No gain or savings there.

Many will attack the quality of ON3, but there are happy customers. I see the "young guy" mentality here...especially a claim of 18psi on a stock motor....i hope he realizes thats a grenade waiting to blow. But in reality, this young guy just doesnt realize the type of board he posted to. Kurt for instance, has said on multiple occasions how horribly expensive turbo setups are. Is he wrong? No. But there are more options than just that set up our there that dont cost that much.

If he made this thread in the turbo section on the corral....it would be a different result.

Twins will blow a stock block if ran at "max".
A single will blow it.
A supercharger will blow it.

So...pick your poison.

And....keep researching. If you dont get the response u want...keep researching. Some of the "special" guys around here wouldnt be special if they did what the general public said was the "right" thing to do.

Only thing with a Turbo is all the mounting unless u go with sts rear mounts. Single will also have alot less lag and put down more efficient power. Turbos might have more modification that needs to be done for fit and everything but will be alot less then a nice supercharger kit with an intercooler

Only thing with a Turbo is all the mounting unless u go with sts rear mounts. Single will also have alot less lag and put down more efficient power. Turbos might have more modification that needs to be done for fit and everything but will be alot less then a nice supercharger kit with an intercooler

a single with less lag and more efficient power? I thought twin setups traditionally spool quicker with more efficient power?

Hmm $1500 is doable....

If your dad owns a exhaust shop (so you can get the pipe cheap like a prostitute)

You are his only begotten son (Having the right hand of god helps)

You are a good welder (No leaks)

But with all the hours spent you could have just got Banked your pay checks and saved some bloody knuckles.

But IF you do it .....AND I ENCOURAGE YOU TO!!! I need a single turbo kit. So bend a second kit to the same dimensions. ... and engineer it for a turbo around 80-100mm.

BTW factor in the money for tuning and "supporting mods.

OR DO A LSX SWAP AND GET YOUR TURBO LIKE HP WITHOUT A TURBO!!!:SNSign:

But in all honesty Get a Trickflow HCI kit...I promise you'll love it. Or build a stroker on a stand.:nice:

Chris

To 94gtmustang5.0 traditionally you would think that but just because you have two turbos doesn't mean more power. if you have a single Turbo setup its gonna take less to spool it and have better throttle response therefore limiting boost lag. And I friends with both twin and single setups sometimes twin might put down a bigger number but what good is it if you can't put it to the ground because of the lag. No matter what twin setup will have more lag unless its a sequential setup where there's one big Turbo and one small one that spools Tue big one so there is no lag what so ever