5.0 mating to T-10 trans

GT1966

Sep 26, 2002
Maine
I've stored away my original 289 A-code and I had a 1987 5.0 H.O. built that I wish to install into my 1966 GT. Firstly, I know I need a 50 ounce externally balanced flywheel (157 tooth) to go with the matching harmonic balancer. All I read about is a 10 1/2" clutch for these motors, where the 289 had a 10" unit. It appears the splines on these 10 1/2" clutches are identical to the input shaft for the T-10, so no problem there (I think). Please confirm. I'm assuming the T-10 bellhousing can accomodate the slightly larger clutch housing? Now, what's the story with the throw-out bearing and my existing clutch fork? It appears (from catalog pictures) the "diaphragm" type clutch kits (multiple fingers) use a different-looking throw-out bearing compared to the original stock. Therefore, what type of clutch fork must I install to work with this new style throw-out bearing? And I thought this would be a simple swap! Thanks for your help!
Cliff

• Sponsors (?)

McClod sells a 50oz flywheel that will work with the early style clutch (it's actually dual pattern, 11" and 10.5").

Every Mustang supplier on the planet sells a 3 bolt 50oz damper.

If you have the old clutch and bellhousing, you can bolt it right up and nobody will know.

need a clarification.

McClod sells a 50oz flywheel that will work with the early style clutch (it's actually dual pattern, 11" and 10.5").

Every Mustang supplier on the planet sells a 3 bolt 50oz damper.

If you have the old clutch and bellhousing, you can bolt it right up and nobody will know.

CraigMBA -- I assume you mean it works with both a 10" and 10.5" clutch? The 289 used a 10" clutch. I'm going to replace it anyway, so should I just purchase a early 289 / 302 clutch kit and keep the original clutch fork? Will a 10" clutch handle the extra HP?....this built 5.0 claims to have 350+ HP.

I've been running the 5.0 50 oz 10.5"(clutch) flywheel in a stock 60's Toploader bell using a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch/pressureplate. This is in an 89 Ranger using McCleod's hyd. throwout bearing. Just use the 5.0 T/O bearing on the T-10 fork with a 5.0 diaphram clutch. Ford Racing's iron 5.0 flywheel is what I'm using ($100)

Yeah, it was a typo.

My brother had an 11" clutch out of a pickup in his '65 coupe. I got confused.

To follow up with what DH wrote:

The late 5.0 style diaphram clutch and the early style 3 finger and diaphram clutch are 1" different in height. So long as you can get the total height of the throw out bearing right you can run any darn clutch you want.

more clarification, please

I've been running the 5.0 50 oz 10.5"(clutch) flywheel in a stock 60's Toploader bell using a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch/pressureplate. This is in an 89 Ranger using McCleod's hyd. throwout bearing. Just use the 5.0 T/O bearing on the T-10 fork with a 5.0 diaphram clutch. Ford Racing's iron 5.0 flywheel is what I'm using ($100)

DHearne, the T-10 throw-out bearing has two "clips" which retain it on the fork. From what I see in the catalogs, the 5.0 T/O does not, and replacement forks look quite different. So, will a late model fork fit the fulcrum on the T-10 bell housing? On another tack, who makes a hydraulic kit (slave cylinder under dash?) for early Mustangs? That set-up in the Ranger sounds really cool.

The pivot point on the T-10 and T-5 are different. The T-5 setup, pulls the bearing towards the pressure plate. The T-10 pushes it. You could go down to your local parts house and check out a T-5 bearing to see if it'll work on a T-10 fork. As for hydraulic setups, the T-5 has a half dozen or more companies that make it. The best route is an external slave, these are easier to adjust and fix leaks than the internal type I have. I didn't have the option of the external setup with a Toploader 4 speed, there's no place to put it with the external shifter linkage on it.