Fox 5.0 noise

I'm wondering if anyone else ever had this happen. After "getting on it" I heard a clack clack clack noise coming from the Belt area of the engine. There were a few original worn parts I wanted to change anyway so I changed the serpintine belt, power steering pump, and the pulley on the tensioner. Noise went away until I jumped on it again. After regular city driving the noise faded. I also have an A/C delete with a pulley, the bearing is good and I looked at the harmonic balancer and it looked okay. I might add I ran the engine (shortly) with serpentine belt removed and there was no noise.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I’ve had the bearings in my alternator go bad and it made a clacking sort of noise.

You’re positive it’s coming from your belt area? You open the throttle when standing right next to the engine to verify?

I’ve had the bearings in my alternator go bad and it made a clacking sort of noise.

You’re positive it’s coming from your belt area? You open the throttle when standing right next to the engine to verify?

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the belt area. My brother used to hot test engines at Ford Engine plant and I opened the throttle up for him. He then suggested taking the serpintine off and running the engine and the sound disappeared. I'm not ruling anything out at this point, the alternator was installed just before I bought the car.

I've run into similar issues on several cars. Check and make sure the aluminum alternator bracket bolts are tight. I've seen them loosen up and cause a similar noise after getting on them. There's a big bolt kinda hidden in the corner of the bracket under the alternator. I've seen those brackets loosen up and the stress will cause the bracket to break. Check all the mounting bolts for all the accessories ( alt, ac, ps pump, air pump ). Also, check your fan, if its still stock, I've seen the stock plastic blades crack and cause the same issue. Also seen metal flex fan rivets fail causing a tapping noise.

The fan clutch can also cause a noise like that. Pull the fan and inspect it. It shouldn't wobble on the shaft that runs to the water pump.

I've run into similar issues on several cars. Check and make sure the aluminum alternator bracket bolts are tight. I've seen them loosen up and cause a similar noise after getting on them. There's a big bolt kinda hidden in the corner of the bracket under the alternator. I've seen those brackets loosen up and the stress will cause the bracket to break. Check all the mounting bolts for all the accessories ( alt, ac, ps pump, air pump ). Also, check your fan, if its still stock, I've seen the stock plastic blades crack and cause the same issue. Also seen metal flex fan rivets fail causing a tapping noise.

The fan clutch can also cause a noise like that. Pull the fan and inspect it. It shouldn't wobble on the shaft that runs to the water pump.
I hadn't even thought of some of these simpler things to check. I do have the stock plastic fan, I will check these out in the morning. Thank you for the input I'll let you know.

Reactions: 1 user