5% oil life change lige soon

VPStang

Founding Member
Oct 1, 2002
bHAM, alabama
The warning came on when I went to work this morning. The problem is, I just changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. I used Mobil 1 5w20 and a wix filter. The oil should be nowhere near ready for a change. I don't take the car to a track, it's my daily driver. Anyone else heard of this. I'm waiting for the car to cool down so I can go check the oil.

• Sponsors (?)

I just got my first oil change just after 3000 miles on mine. When I scheduled it, I was asked how many miles were on it and told them, he said Ford recommended it every 7500 miles, but they suggest every 5000, so I shouldn't need it yet. I told him the warning had come on (like you said) and was @ 2%. He seemed a little puzzled by that, but I told him it'd been 6 months anyway, so I'd just get it done. He said that the computer calculates it based on time, mileage, and level of aggressiveness of the driving. Don't know if that helps, but it was my experience. It sounds like you changed the oil yourself, did you reset the computer when you did it? Maybe it was still counting down from the previous change. (Anyone know how to reset the countdown by the way?)

My dodge does that every now and then. A simple reset (key on, pump gas pedal 3 times) and its off. I don't need a computer to tell me when to change my oil.

I'm just concerned that theres something wrong with a sensor or something. I'm at 14,xxx miles. I had the oil changed at about 12,500. I took the car to an xpress lube place. I used synth and brought my own wix filter. I started to think maybe it was because of the oil. So does the computer need to be reset?? I changed the oil last time based on mileage-I never received a warning. I could really use some insight on this.