500-600 fwhp guys come in !

Uh, a TKO is a tremec crackhead. Its an upgraded version of the 3550. Your insane if you think the T5 is a smooth shifter. On top of that the housing is crap, and it costs an arm and a leg to get a tranny setup by GForce. For a smidge more, your better off getting the Viper T56 which is the only tranny thats technically rated to handle this kind of power.

Most people swich to a auto when thier numbers get near 500+, but that's not the point of this tread. It's funny how some people put some amazing numbers to stock T-5's then others blow them out on otherwise stock engines and drivetrains. My T-5 is showing signs of it going out, the 3rd gear syncro is starting to act up, it's only a matter of time.

The most cost effective way would probally be to go ahead and get a Tremec 3550, but if your going to replace the clutch and bellhousing, you would be a fool not to upgrade to a Tremec 3550 TKO. A rebuilt upgraded T-5 I doubt will have the same strength as a Tremec series trans, maby I am wrong. I would look into a T-56 used but low miles because it would be nice to have a buffer so going into 5th wouldn't be such a drop and to be able to cruise at lower rpm's on the highway with low gears in the back.

i sold be make close to 500 rearwheel horsepower and i plan on using the x2c tremec tko version 2.0 it is rated for up to 850 foot pounds and like 800 horspower and i want to say it is like either 1600 or 1850 alot cheap er then a g force rebuild, i know you got to use a new bell housing and shifter and clutch but who dont replace those when doing a trans upgrade

I've contemplated the T56, but heard alot of good things about the G Force. I do agree though, the 6th gear would be nice and as posted, the rpm drop from 4th to 5th would be much better with that 6th gear.

I will say my T5 has shifted very well with no issues, but then I don't beat on it as hard as many do.

I'll make my final decision when mine explodes LOL. I just need this one to hold out 1 more year. (holding breath)

Scott

ur an idoit t5 do shift smoother retard ! u dont know 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' about G-force cuz it does cost less then to do a hole tko conversion, all u need is the gear set which is 1800 an ur done ! for a smidge more, a viper t56 is much more expensive then getting a g-force, u need everything to fit that tranny !! damn ur an idiot.. just dont talk !!

I use a 3550 v2 in my coupe, but I don't make the numbers you all are. I will say this though. I have seen 3550's crack the case around the bolt holes on very hard launches (1.30's 60').

I'm running a TREMEC TKO, with an 11" Mcleod Pressure Plate & Disc in my 87' GT. Awesome Trans Man. So far it's holding up to my combination without a problem:
408 Stroker Windsor, 11:1 Comp, AFR 205 Heads w/Beehive Springs, Comp Hyd. Roller Cam, SCAT H-Beams & Crank, SRP Pistons(coated), Victor Jr. Intake, 850CFM Mighty Demon, Crane Dist. & Ignition, 9" Rear w/Moser 33 Spline Alloy Axels, 4:11 Gears, BFG Radial Slicks.
I have seen guys run 700-800 Horsepower with these trany's without a problem. The TKO is rated for 450-500 HP I think, but I belive this is a little under rated. Overall I would definetly recomend the TKO. I have been running it and abusing it now for a couple years, without a single problem or leak.

I have a tko in my 88, great trans plan on putting around 700hp when I change my engine setup. I personally think the tko is easy to shift through the gears. It may not be as smooth as a t5 or t45 due to it feeling a little "notchy" when going into a gear, but it does not take much effort once broken in. I daily drive my 88 and would much rather shift gears with the tko than the t45 in my cobra.

the gearset is like $950. The complete rebuild is about $1800. To purchase a complete tranny is a little over $2000.