56K Warning - Need some help from people - take a look at my engine

Hey guys. Just finally got around to taking some pictures of the 5.0 in my 1986 GT. The guy did a few things to the car, but I'm not sure what. Below I have several huge pics of the engine and the tail pipes... can anyone tell me what's different (if anything different at all?) about the car? I already figured he added a custom intake, but I'm not sure if it's cold-air or not. The engine runs fine... it actually sounds like a dream when I crank her up, but I wanted to get some feedback from the people who know what to look for. Enjoy:

1986%20Mustang%20007.jpg

1986%20Mustang%20010.jpg

1986%20Mustang%20009.jpg

1986%20Mustang%20008.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Sponsors (?)

looks like he added a breather to the passenger valve cover, the cold air intake, and some blue hoses.

edit: stock intake is a black rubber inlet tube. that is some sort of cold air intake. i thought you meant the actual upper/lower intake was aftermarket.

i noticed the mc, looks similar to the 1" bore upgrade for 4-wheel disc conversions. does the car have 4 wheel disc? didnt say anything, since i wasnt sure if that was the standard looking mc for an 86.

cc plates look like my maximum motorsports.

88SC_GT said:
i noticed the mc, looks similar to the 1" bore upgrade for 4-wheel disc conversions. does the car have 4 wheel disc? didnt say anything, since i wasnt sure if that was the standard looking mc for an 86.

cc plates look like my maximum motorsports.
The stock master cylinder on my 86 looks like that.

Only thing I see is pretty much whats already been mentioned...CC plates, cold air intake, silicone coolant hoses, K&N valve cover breather, plug wires. I would also bet those are aftermarket tailpipes. The factory ones are stainless steel and I have never had them rust like that. Alot of the common aftermarket ones like flowmaster and MAC use chrome steel which will rust.

It there a mass air meter in that chrome intake tube?

Heh, damn you guys are good. I have so much to learn about this damn engine it's not funny.

That's crazy that you can just look at a picture and name that stuff off no problem. Live and learn I guess. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone for their responses so far. Appreciate it.

time for a new battery and battery wires - looks all corroded. Looks like you need a new set of plug wires as said above. A good start to doing mods would be to do a complete tune up - replace all spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and distributor cap, oil and oil filter, fuel filter, PCV valve (but not sure why he has the breather cap on), and learn how to pull codes and see if there is any issues there. Good luck and have fun!

Howard

Check the lower intake in the back by the firewall and see if there's a pcv plugged in. The reason I ask is if he has a breather hooked up on the valve cover and the pcv valve you're pulling unmetered air (like a big vacuum leak).

Fred

bobbys9350 said:
if the PCV valve is COMPLETELY plugged, it wotn hurt anything if u have a breather of the oil cap off right?

Looks clean. Does the motor have any kind of lope to it? (for maybe a possible cam upgrade). Looks like parts of the A/c compressor have new parts. I'd yank it all and go carb if you're looking to not spend much. You will definately get alot of HP out of a carb setup cheaper. Looks good though. Good Luck!

Learn to shrink pictures. Use Paint if you have nothing else.

Right click, open with. Choose Paint. Click on images, then stretch/skew in horizontal and verticle put 50% (for your sized pictures) then OK and save.

Then you can actually see the whole thing and make sense of what you are looking at.

BTW, I spy factory headers.Yuk.

86musteng.jpg

Killer50stang said:
Looks clean. Does the motor have any kind of lope to it? (for maybe a possible cam upgrade). Looks like parts of the A/c compressor have new parts. I'd yank it all and go carb if you're looking to not spend much. You will definately get alot of HP out of a carb setup cheaper. Looks good though. Good Luck!
On the other hand since you live in CA, I would suggest not going carb.

As said above, does the Cold air intake tube have a mass air meter on it?