57-59 Ranchero 9 inch swap

Someone locally is selling a 9 inch rear out of a 57-59 Ranchero. Can anyone tell me what I'll need to do to make this rear end work in my 1965 289 Coupe? I know that it's the same width as my stock 8 inch rear but will anything need to be modified on this 9 inch to get it to bolt in? Any info you could provide to assist with this swap would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

True on both. I swapped a '57 wagon 9 inch in my '65 fastback and had to have the driveshaft altered and needed new U-bolts, as well as had to modify the bottom shock mounts/U-bolt plates to accept the larger bolts. The nice thing about '57 rears is they typically came stock with 3.89 or 4.11 gears, since lots of cars used the overdrives. The wagon and Rancheros also had big-bearing axles, so be aware of that when you buy parts.

You will want to swap the 65 shock plates to 67 shock plates since as was pointed out already the tubes are not tapered. This will save you having to modify the 65 shock plates.

I have a 57 ford 9 inch in my 65.

You're saying to swap '67 shock plates onto the 57-59 9 inch rear? What's involved with swapping the shock plates? Would I have to weld them on?

From what I've been reading, some people say that the 57-59 9 inch rear end is weak. Is this year 9 inch less desirable? Should I swap in a 67-70 Mustang 9 inch instead? I'm not building a drag car but would like to do occasional runs at the strip. My other option would be to modify my spare fox body 8.8 rear end to work in my '65.

No welding required. It's the plate on the bottom of the springs that the shock attaches to and what the U bolts go through. Because the later Mustangs don't have the tapered axle housing, much like your new 9" housing, the U bolts will need to be wider, hence the need for the different shock plate. If the 9" you're acquiring has them, then you're good.

65 shock plate:
65MUS063.jpg

The u bolts bolt through it and it sandwiches the leaf pack to the leaf spring mounting pad that is on the rear
65MUS066.jpg

67 shock plate installed with leafs on 57 rear
65MUS118.jpg