64 1/2 Coupe Project

It is painted. I still have to do the door jambs and the miscellaneous parts that are off the car but it is mostly done. This was my first time painting anything and it turned out better than expected.
BA68507B-06E0-4689-BA66-CF731A432663.jpeg
4275E531-78A9-4919-A964-47D6C284B29E.jpeg
EAB5AF19-6D38-4260-88AB-E964109B4E60.jpeg
1313F60A-0882-44DC-AF20-BB8BA7356653.jpeg
D97D69CC-42F9-40FF-A024-B261CAEEC881.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I learned quite a bit in the process. Chief among them - don't wear a glove on your gun hand. Your hands sweat and then sweat drips out onto the new paint. If you can talk someone into getting in the booth with you, it helps a ton! Managing the air hose in a small space like that is really hard without help. He can also help you find the spots you missed. Don't overfill the paint cup, it will leak out of the vent and drip on your car. I should have removed the wheels to make masking easier. The flimsy plastic I used flapped around and made painting inside the wheel lip nearly impossible. I'll have to clean this up later. I had to re-wet the floor about every 20 minutes because it kept drying out.

I did 2 full coats of base (3 in some area like the hood) and 2 coats of clear and used less than a gallon of paint. I have enough to do the trunk interior, door jambs and probably the underside of the hood too. Despite my very best efforts, there are still particles in the paint. Probably not enough to worry about but they are there. I bought a cheap little paint can pouring lip from Lowes and boy did that make a huge difference! With that, I got almost all of the paint into the mix cup.

I had never done body work before and I am happy to report that it looks pretty good. I can't see the repairs that I did.

I learned quite a bit in the process. Chief among them - don't wear a glove on your gun hand. Your hands sweat and then sweat drips out onto the new paint. If you can talk someone into getting in the booth with you, it helps a ton! Managing the air hose in a small space like that is really hard without help. He can also help you find the spots you missed. Don't overfill the paint cup, it will leak out of the vent and drip on your car. I should have removed the wheels to make masking easier. The flimsy plastic I used flapped around and made painting inside the wheel lip nearly impossible. I'll have to clean this up later. I had to re-wet the floor about every 20 minutes because it kept drying out.

I did 2 full coats of base (3 in some area like the hood) and 2 coats of clear and used less than a gallon of paint. I have enough to do the trunk interior, door jambs and probably the underside of the hood too. Despite my very best efforts, there are still particles in the paint. Probably not enough to worry about but they are there. I bought a cheap little paint can pouring lip from Lowes and boy did that make a huge difference! With that, I got almost all of the paint into the mix cup.

I had never done body work before and I am happy to report that it looks pretty good. I can't see the repairs that I did.

Haha...I learned this myself when I shot the epoxy primer...but luckily I had plenty of time to correct that with sanding before the top coat of acrylic enamel went down(and even then I only sprayed the interior, engine bay and undercarriage...exterior will be later and much more detailed with basecoat/clearcoat instead of the single stage enamel I used for the areas I wanted a tougher finish.

Ok, I learned a few more things. First, paint the door jambs first. It is a PITA to mask it off and I was completely paranoid that I would get paint all over my fresh paint job. I wound up covering every square inch with moving blankets and plastic wrap. After all that, I didn’t have enough room in my booth to open the doors all the way which made painting the forward part Impossible. They look better than not doing them but they aren’t great.
So why didn’t I paint them first? Well, when I searched to find out how much paint I needed to do the whole car, I found every answer under the sun. I had a 1 gallon kit and about half the answers said that wasn’t enough to do the car and jambs so I painted the car first and discovered I had plenty of paint left. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that you actually have more than one gallon after you mix it. I had a 2:1 mix paint so I actually had 1 1/2 gallons total to work with. For me, that was plenty for the whole car plus jambs and trunk and hood undersides. The clear mixed 4:1 but I had plenty of that too.
2E728757-5598-48DF-8E68-72D79974672B.jpeg
679AB1D4-09B3-4637-835E-95A25C1B1849.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
With any luck, it will be mostly complete today (I know they are never really done) but I am struggling with the badge installation. I figured out the FORD and V8 badges because they use metal quick nuts. The Mustang emblem uses plastic ones and I can’t get those to work. They are new fenders so I had to drill the holes. I pushed the nuts in but there is no way the studs will fit in.
does anyone know the trick?
FEB11880-7489-4F68-ADB2-2F53E74DF8CB.jpeg

DD7EEFAB-9154-4E1A-99F8-61D94D079017.jpeg
957395A6-7134-4711-BF30-39976B33D9A8.jpeg
First time outside. Took it for a shakedown run. Definitely needs the brakes done but drives nice. Just need to chase down rattles and put the final stuff like windshield trim, wipers, and shifter boot. Then some miles to find any issues
DCAB21A4-74A1-4079-AAF4-BCC1DE9E6345.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Oh heck ya! And ya did it yourself! Flipping Nice!

Winner!

Theres your new avatar picture too.
She says "Honey take me for spin", Time to go cruise for burgers and ice cream! Get some license plates...