64 1/2 powersteering control arm problems

64-1/2_stang_26

Dec 19, 2004
The balls stud in the powersteering control arm is loose. The steering wheel is very sloppy. I have replaced the hole unit and then it became loose. I then put a rebuild kit in it and it became loose again after about 1000 miles. IS there anything i could do or is this just a notorious mustang thing that ill have to live with??

• Sponsors (?)

I have a '65 fastback with very sloppy power steering. My slop seems to be in the gear box itself. This is my first experience with old Mustang power steering, and I don't like it. I'm very tempted to convert it to manual. But have someone turn the wheel back and forth in the "play" zone while you watch the pitman arm, if the steering wheel turns and the pitman arm doesn't it's in the box. I think I'm gonna go with a new Flaming River gear box.

Old mustang steering is going to be a little sloppy simply because they are old cars. But I also have a 64 1/2 coupe and the steering isn't so amazingly sloppy that I've had any problems. If you replaced the whole thing I dunno what to tell ya though. I remember with mine I have to have it rebuilt because it was old and leaking oil like there was no tomorrow. If it's really loose it does sound like a problem witht he gears though. IF you hav power steering, I'd run a check up on that as well.

you replaced the whole unit what??? it is probably the ball stud in the control arm and the control valve needing rebuilding. both are easy. the pitman arm connects to the ball stud, the ball stud pushes or releases a rod that gors through the control valve that controls direction of the flow of fluid. I redid this on my 65 FB and all the slop disappeared.