• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

64 1/2 powersteering control arm problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter 64-1/2_stang_26
  • Start date Start date Dec 20, 2004
6

64-1/2_stang_26

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
2
0
0
Dec 20, 2004
#1
  • Dec 20, 2004
  • #1
The balls stud in the powersteering control arm is loose. The steering wheel is very sloppy. I have replaced the hole unit and then it became loose. I then put a rebuild kit in it and it became loose again after about 1000 miles. IS there anything i could do or is this just a notorious mustang thing that ill have to live with??
 
M

mustangprodude

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
45
0
0
Dec 21, 2004
#2
  • Dec 21, 2004
  • #2
I have a '65 fastback with very sloppy power steering. My slop seems to be in the gear box itself. This is my first experience with old Mustang power steering, and I don't like it. I'm very tempted to convert it to manual. But have someone turn the wheel back and forth in the "play" zone while you watch the pitman arm, if the steering wheel turns and the pitman arm doesn't it's in the box. I think I'm gonna go with a new Flaming River gear box.
 
W

Wolffx65

New Member
Dec 20, 2004
4
0
0
Southern Cali
Dec 21, 2004
#3
  • Dec 21, 2004
  • #3
Old mustang steering is going to be a little sloppy simply because they are old cars. But I also have a 64 1/2 coupe and the steering isn't so amazingly sloppy that I've had any problems. If you replaced the whole thing I dunno what to tell ya though. I remember with mine I have to have it rebuilt because it was old and leaking oil like there was no tomorrow. If it's really loose it does sound like a problem witht he gears though. IF you hav power steering, I'd run a check up on that as well.
 

65fastback2+2

New Member
Aug 4, 2003
1,229
0
0
Louisville, KY
Dec 21, 2004
#4
  • Dec 21, 2004
  • #4
you replaced the whole unit what??? it is probably the ball stud in the control arm and the control valve needing rebuilding. both are easy. the pitman arm connects to the ball stud, the ball stud pushes or releases a rod that gors through the control valve that controls direction of the flow of fluid. I redid this on my 65 FB and all the slop disappeared.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
837
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
G
2001 Mustang GT noise after header and control arm (x2) install
  • gilmo5
  • Jan 8, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
319
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 12, 2025
weendoggy
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
340
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
What's it Worth? 2000 GT
  • Mustang5L5
  • May 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
6
Views
425
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 13, 2026
KRUISR
P
Suspension Different height ball joints?
  • pindude80
  • Jun 10, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
15
Views
3K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 12, 2024
limp
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?