65-66 guys with 351w swap... got a question

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
What headers work best for this swap?
What are my choices for large tubes or step tubes?
Is anyone using Hooker pn:6208?
I like the specs on that header.

I am NOT interested in shortys, tri-y, or 1 1/2" primary headers. I would consider 1 5/8" tubes if they got rave reviews and larger tubes, like 6208, are shown to have problems with this swap.

Thanks!
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Im also in this boat in header selection for my 393 Ive talked to there techs over the phone a few times and they assured me it would fit long as you meet the specs they specified under footnotes on the other hand a uncoated set runs u around 400$ where as a coated runs in the 600s

Have you checked out Hedman?
They have Coated Swap headers part#(88666) for around 360$

Not interested in coated tubes.
Overrated IMO.
Also, they say not to put coated tubes on a new engine until it is thoroughly broken in.

I have checked on Hedman. They have several LTs that fit this swap. I am disappointed that they only offer 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" tubes.
They have a step header also for this swap, but again, it is stepped 1 1/2" to 1 5/8"... :(

Any other comments?

I ran super comps on my 66 and the only thing I had a problem with was the z-bar I just made my own. I also remember hooker saying you had to use a 66 specific motor mount with these headers because clearance is obviously at least horrible

My heddmans fit very nice and definitely made some extra topend pop, even with my limited power range (stock cam, performer intake). I imagine if I winded my engine out another 1000 rpms it would have been even more noticeable. Only complaint is there is a persistent exhaust leak, but usually the exhaust drowns that out anyway. Can't beat the price either.

re:headers

I used the Headman Shorties, they're specifically for the 351W-> '65-66 swap.

The shorties are nice because they dump right into a 3" collector so the tube size isn't too restrictive. I used a 3" pipe with Dr. GasX crossover.

You will find there is NOT a lot of space between the header and the shock tower! But I actually was able to drop in the engine with the headers installed. I also recommend header bolt locks because it's so hard to get them tight after they're installed.

I guarantee you won't have to worry about back-pressure with this setup!
I have to say though, they're pretty loud, even with a 3 chamber FlowMaster muffler. I'll be adding a small resonator when I get it back together.

Roy.