65 deluxe one wire alt conversion

chishola1

Mar 3, 2019
michigan
the alt on my 65 with the deluxe interior is failing and i am planning on switching to a one wire alt due to plans to upgrade my stereo setup. i have heard that if i leave the original loop going from the alt up through the dash, past the inductive ammeter and back to the battery in place and just add the wire from the alt to the battery that the ammeter will still work and i wont have to worry about that loop frying with the high amp from the one wire alt. is that true? if not, what are your suggestions for converting to a one wire alt and keeping the original inductive ammeter working, other than running a monster cable from the alt up through the dash and back lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Update: We went with the Jegs 1-wire 100/105 amp (can't remember which) alternator. This sucker works! Even at idle with the Ford Taurus electric fan on, it still holds about 14 volts. Very important to have good grounds all around especially with an electric fan.

Probably could have done something else but since we did Autometer gauges, I pulled the instrument cluster and just removed the bulb from the ALT idiot light so it's not glaring any more. LOVE the Autometer Traditional gauges. Put in the green light covers and ran the dimmer circuit from the fuse box. Matches the factory instruments perfectly.

The hanging wires were temporary!!!! lol
IMG_6762.JPG