65 Floor Pan Replacement

Billm

Apr 16, 2014
I have been cutting out my floor for a full floor pan replacement.There is surface rust ontop of the torque boxes which have cleaned up pretty good. I plan on cleaning with wire brushes and sanding discs.i will have to weld up a couple of holes. I will coat everything with Master Series primer. I don't plan on opening up the torque boxes what do you guys think? Bill IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0232.jpg IMG_0234.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have already put the front torque boxes in. They should really help stiffen the car. When the floor pan is in I will put the car on a rotisserie. I will finish the bottom without laying on my back. I have already done the front crossmember , radiator and fender aprons. I need to add the front strut pieces as well. Slow but steady progress.

Reactions: 1 user
Tested the fit of the pan today. Marked the areas for the plug welds on the floor supports. The pan has a gap of about a 1/4" on each side. While I have it back out, I will try to figure out a way to spread the pan. Jump on it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 537
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 497
Use a few sheet metal screws to pull the sides to the rockers .A few on the ends to help keep it in place .
start welding from the middle on the ends will help keep it formed to the fire wall and the rear rear area. They usually need a little pounding around the wheel tubs to pull them up tight .

Thanks for the tips. I will use some screws to hold it in place. The area where the pan slides into the rear corners where the wheel tub and transition pan will need to be fitted with a little trimming and a hammer. It fits the trans hump and the rear hump quote well.

Making some progress. Treated the metal with Master Series coating, drilled the holes for the plug welds, clamped and screwed the pan in and did a little welding last nite. The pan did spread easily with the #8 self taping screws into the rocker.